Car suddenly started burning oil...

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Ive searched and came up with great info, im jsut looking for further options.

Heres my setup:
NA-T
MHG
ARP's
Rebuilt head, less than 3000 miles
Brand new 57trim from driftmotion Less than 1000 miles
BIC DDP
Exhaust
Intake
7 PSI Never ran past 9-10 PSI ever

Now two days ago, i took off the exhaust to weld up my new one. I couldnt get it on in time for school so i ran the car open DDP. I start up and starts up normal, not smoke nothing. Just like usual. Im driving it for a few minutes, not really beating on her at all and i notice the cars smoking a fair amount, but not terrible...

After further driving it it gets slightly worse, but the thing is, is that it doesnt always do it.

Next day: I put my new exhaust on and start the car up. no smoke what so ever. I let it idle for a minute or two before driving it. Drive for about 2 minutes or so, and come to a stop light. Its smoking blue smoke (definatly oil) fairly bad. Im thinking it was the turbo seals so i get into boost about and watch the rear view mirror. NO smoke at all.

I stop at my local deli and let the car idle. No smoke at all. Sits for about 2-3 minutes idleing and i look outside and its smoking bad. Blue smoke (OIL) is pouring out of the exhaust. Bad enough were i could smell it in the deli.

So i go out and get in the car and begin to drive very slowly and the smoke stops:eek: Nothing coming out the back at all.

Come to a stop light and it starts doing it again.

As far as i can tell it only realyl at idle after about a minute or so. :1zhelp:

:runaway:

Heres what im thinking it "could be":
-Turbo drain clogged(stainless steel line straight)
-Turbo seals (new turbo :()
-Piston rings
-Valvetrain(new)

Today i will perform a compression test

THANKS for reading this longgggg post

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
It sounds like valve seals to me.

Pull your intercooler hose, the one from the turbo to the intercooler. Pull it at the intercooler side and put a drain pan their just in case. Check to see if anything comes out.
Is your oil dipstick pushing up any? Oh and make sure you are keeping an eye on your oil level.

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
Suprapowaz!(2);1029808 said:
It sounds like valve seals to me.

Pull your intercooler hose, the one from the turbo to the intercooler. Pull it at the intercooler side and put a drain pan their just in case. Check to see if anything comes out.
Is your oil dipstick pushing up any? Oh and make sure you are keeping an eye on your oil level.

+1 for valve seals. Should have had them done while replacing HG

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
you could pull off the downpipe and see if the turbo is covered in oil... because if its leaking from there and not the head or somewhere else then you'll see that.

and its very possible that the turbo is leaking...
OR
it could be vavle stem seals, but it doesnt really sound like them... because when that happens you get blue smoke all the time, or just on cold start ups and certain situations...

do a compression test which if you have low compression then theres your answer!

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
What about if the valve cover gaskets were to fail and leave a large amount of oil in my gallery. Could it somehow drip dowm my sparkplug threads/somewhere else and enter the combustion chamber?

It doesnt smoke after a hard pull. It still pulls REALLY hard. And the valve seals are new. The whole upper part of the motor is FRESH

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
It's very unlikely pirate oil could get into the combustion chamber that way. If that were the case alot of people would be complaining about the same problem. It's most likely valve train or turbo related. Perhaps the valve stem seals aren't entirely kosher, or valves aren't sealing correctly. Have you done the leak-down? gl.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
I posted the same thing up on another forum, and this is what i got.

Administrator said:
I can tell you exactly what the problem is. Are you running forged pistons?

If so, when you ran open header, you leaned out pretty bad, pistons expanded beyond the piston to wall clearance, scraped the cylinder walls and now your rings and cylinder walls are pretty much useless.

Even if you dont have forged pistons, the added heat from running lean could have ruined the valves or seals

Does this sound reasonable?

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
s383mmber1;1030100 said:
I posted the same thing up on another forum, and this is what i got.

Does this sound reasonable?

Not at all because you can't run "open header" with a turbo installed.

I would be looking at either your return line being too small on the turbo/bad oil seals (like you said) or something amiss with the crankcase ventilation. How is your PCV system configured?

Robogast

Mechanic
Jun 14, 2006
VA Beach, VA
I would say oil rings, Cause i just replaced my head gasket, had the head checket and they installed new valve stem seals, cam seals, did a valve job and valve adjustment. I checked my pistons before i put the head back on and there was a little bit of play in the side to side and it burnt oil before the head gasket change and it does it now but not nearly as often. but yea id do a compression check.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
NewWestSupras;1029909 said:
It's very unlikely pirate oil could get into the combustion chamber that way. If that were the case alot of people would be complaining about the same problem. It's most likely valve train or turbo related. Perhaps the valve stem seals aren't entirely kosher, or valves aren't sealing correctly. Have you done the leak-down? gl.

Unlikely, but completely 100% possible. If you get enough oil in there, it can leak down there and burn up. Mine did it.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Quin;1030672 said:
Unlikely, but completely 100% possible. If you get enough oil in there, it can leak down there and burn up. Mine did it.

Im truly hoping that this is the case. If not, time to rip her apart and learn something new :)

I had to work all day today and go in early, so ill be examining her tonight! Ill post up pictures and such :) Just for YOUR amusment!

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
did you do the compression test yet? that will help a lot with diagnosing the problem.
another thing you can do is take off the turbo, or even better the exhaust manifold and if you see oil in the manifold. you could possible have a bad ring. or in my case, a melted piston.
good luck
-pete