car storage for 4weeks.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
What should I do to my car as im going overseas for work and my car will be sitting at home. Ive got nearly 1/8th of a tank of fuel and I will probably top it up to about 1/4th before I leave. I want enough fuel so I can start up when I come back but not enough so its stale (or will it last?) The weather in perth is autumn now. Not too hot days and cool mornings, evenings and nights. It dosnt snow in perth so thats ok. Ive got 5w40 semi synth penrite oil just put in 2weeks ago. Do I disc the battery while im away?

When I come back what do I do? Do i pull the efi fuse and crank till I get oilpressure?

What about adding a bottle (about 1Liter) of Methalated spirits (sp?) to absorb any water in the fuel tank?

Leave the vents open and windows up/down slightly?

Any tips or previous exp will be much apreciated.
Cheers Mik.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
Ok cheers for that Ian, I'll just leave it as it is.
When I get back I'll give her a big drink of fresh BP98... If I can afford it. Petrol prices mite be $2.00L by then :(

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
idk about leaving the windows up... too me that would mean critters could come in... i heard moth balls will keep them away but idk

if you sit it for a long period of time i would change oil but 4 weeks isnt nothing... alot of us in the states put our cars away for winter which is half the year for some of us

I

itr206

just pull the battery and leave it at that. Ive let my car sit for 6 months at a time and starts like a gem as long as the battery still has charge

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Word. Or get one of those trickle chargers, switch it to 2A, and just go about your business...

Or just pull the battery for free. I didn't and my car hated me for it.

-J

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
when i used to deploy for 6-8 months at a time, i would have a friend come by and start up my car, drive it around the block and then park it back in the garage at least twice a month. also, if you maybe have aftermarket rims with good rubber, maybe put your stock sawblades on with the rubber you dont care about so you dont get flat spots on your good rubber.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Don't use a battery charger for long-term maintenance or you will overcharge your battery. If you do that, you'll risk boiling acid all over your car, or destroying the battery by running it dry. Instead, use one of these: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_197012_197012. No need to disconnect the battery when hooking up this charger. I'd hook the battery up to one of these if it's going to sit more than two weeks. My Supra sat for 6 months on it's tires once without getting flat spots. Four weeks isn't long enough for gas to go stale, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Asterix

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
my car has been sitting for about 2 months now and all I did to it was take the battery out of it. Even when I bought it though the battery was still in it, after a nice 4hr charge and swapping out the fuel pump (it had been sitting in a garage for 2.5yrs) it started on the first crank of the motor. Bad gas was the biggest problem, but since I swapped the fuel pump I had to empty the tank anyway. So just save yourself some trouble and money and just take the battery out and let it be. It will be alright for a month

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I store mine over ND long winters. I put stabile in the tank. I also pull the battery. In my car the little flashing security light tends to drain my battery over 6 months and I have a dead car. I also change the oil before starting it just to get any moisture out if it has collected. Oh as far as the critters I use moath balls and I use dryer sheets. I store my car on a farm so lots of critters in the oout buildings. Oh a car cover is great I tend to get bird poop on the cover and not the car. Thats all I got !!!
Good luck!!!

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
If the temperatures are going to be very cool, id recommend fuelling it all the way up and putting Stabil or similar into it. With temperatures cooling off down under you will experience condensation and water can accumulate in your tanks and could cause rusting. If you anticipate traveling more often, a battery maintainer is a good investment. I use them on my waverunners battery. http://www.batterytender.com/

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Dude I didnt know you were in aussie land, that changes the rules. Def put a stabilizer in your tank then. I figured you were in the northern hemi and since it is almost summer time here instead of winter (how cold does it get down there anyway) I figured you pulling the batt would be enough. But with those cold ass temps your getting now, pull the batt (I have the stock security system too) and just put the fuel stabilizer in your car. You shouldnt have too much problems with the tires flat spotting since its such a short period of time.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
miggles said:
Petrol prices mite be $2.00L by then :(
:aigo: :aigo: :aigo: :aigo:

Damn I just put $20USD into my tank and got just shy of 6 gallons. Thats $1.20 per liter unless I screwed up the math. I will stop complaining about gas prices now. ( well no, actually I won't, but I will try and keep perspective )

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
mines been sitting since the end of September,
I plan on giving the battery a charge in the next day to bring her back to life this summer..

Will