Car starts fine but dies within 5 seconds

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Edit: didn't realize this post was so long, including a shorter version since most people probably don't have all day to read this ;)

Cliffs Notes:
-Car starts and has low vacuum from beginning (12-13 inHg); vacuum decreases and car dies over the course of about 5 seconds.
-Done: checked all vac lines EXTENSIVELY, pulled codes and there were none, checked ISCV (physically not electrically), 3 grounds under intake mani are in place, tested fuel pump and confirmed it was operational
-Is it necessary to buy the equipment needed to check fuel pressure and perform various electronic diagnostics? Or is it for sure a vac leak because of low vac reading?
-Can I rule out stuff like timing, CPS, etc. because I only did a minor repair (KS rewire) that wouldn't have affected those, and the car ran fine before?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Long version:
So I got my car put back together (after doing the knock sensor re-wire), and I went to start it up and it cranked fine and started, but then the RPMs rapidly dropped off (after a couple seconds) and it died. Tried it again, this time giving it some gas, but had the same problem. It would only run as long as I had my foot on the gas, and then die again. My first thought was to check for vacuum leaks. I spent hours checking and making sure everything was hooked up correctly, but didn't find anything out of place. Besides, I was pretty sure that it would take a pretty major leak to make the car behave this way. I did end up adjusting the "air boot" on the passenger side of the 3000 pipe because it didn't look like it was making a very good seal, and this seemed to help, but all it did was increase the amount of time the car would run to maybe 5 or 6 seconds, and then same story. NO CODES by the way.

When I watch my boost gauge as this is happening, the car only pulls about 12-13 inHg of vacuum when it first starts up, which is low even though I'm about a mile above sea level, right? I'm pretty sure it was making at least 16 or 17 the last time I ran it successfully. Anyway, then vacuum gradually drops to 10 inHg...and at THAT point is when the car seems to really begin to die; this might be a trivial detail or maybe it's just "dying" the whole time but that was the impression I got.

I did some searches on here and read a ton of threads, finding that many people before me have had very similar problems, for many different reasons. I followed some of the suggestions in other threads: I checked the ISCV and it seems to be clean, although I haven't done any sort of electrical testing yet (I lack the equipment). Also I ensured that the 3 grounds underneath the intake manifold were in place. Some of the other potential problem areas, such as CPS and timing, I don't think apply to my situation since I haven't messed with any of that stuff, but I may be wrong. I don't think spark could be causing my problem because it runs THEN dies, but again feel free to correct me if this is faulty logic. Finally there's the fuel system - again I didn't mess with anything here but I suppose that doesn't rule it out as a potential problem area. I bridged B+ to FP on the diagnostics terminal, and the fuel pump did operate, I also replaced the EFI fuse although that might have been redundant.

I know that there is much more diagnostic work that can be done - such as checking fuel pressure and injectors, and a variety of electrical testing procedures. So I'm not asking to be spoon fed an answer based on the fairly limited amount of work that I've done so far. But I am wondering if anything else can be eliminated simply based on my symptoms, or for that matter if there is another potential problem area I have neglected to recognize. I will buy additional equipment for this repair if necessary, but as a broke college kid I try to only buy what I absolutely need ;)

Does anyone have any input - am I going about this the right way? But most of all, am I overthinking this completely - can I tell that it is a vacuum leak just because my car pulls a lower amount of vacuum than it should (at least while it is running)? Or am I right to consider other possibilities...Sorry for the long post but I wanted to thoroughly describe my situation and what I've done so far - I would appreciate anything that anyone has to say about this. Thanks

-Ben

Last edited:

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
This may sound dumb but did you try exchanging the battery?
friend of mine also had unexplainable problems and changed/swapped out almost every electronic piece of hardware he could find including the ecu, afm and cps.

In the end the battery proved to be the problem.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Alright nevermind, I got it fixed. Thankfully it was very simple - the TB to intake manifold gasket was causing a vacuum leak. While I had my car taken apart I replaced this gasket, but I used the N/A gasket instead of the turbo one (it looked to be a better fit), not noticing until now that it doesn't quite fit right at the top. I was surprised that this alone could have caused my problem, apparently the leak was worse than I thought. I used some tape to fix it temporarily (this was how I identified this as the problem), guess I'll get a turbo gasket and cut a larger hole in the center, since as is it would restrict air flow....

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
Good work!

As for the gasket, I went through several stock (and imitation stock) gaskets. They all blew the minute the car fired up. There are holes in te back of the TB and the air pressure pushed the gasket into one of the holes creating a nice vacuum leak.

I ended up cutting a gasket from a sereal box. That did the trick. Holding up just fine now for almost 5 years.

Good luck with your car!

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
noel;1380330 said:
my valve covers look like crap i didnt sand them down i just use primer and paint lol stupid me and ur bay doesn't look stock !

lol we're going offtopic here.
Ah well the problem is already solved :)

Engine bay doesn't look stock i know.
But it's just some bpu with 550's/lexafm and a cooleeze piping set. that's about it. Looks a lot more impressive than it actually is. Painting everything can be really rewarding as long as you sand and prime it first, and apply some layers of clear coating when you're done giving it your preferred colour.