foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
Car: 88 mk3
motor: 1jz-gte
tranny: r154

Problem: when the clutch is pushed in, the motor stalls

Conditions:
-When the car is cold, it runs and drives fine but when the clutch is pushed in you can see the rpms drop 200 rpm.

-When the car reaches operating temperature, the motor stalls out when the clutch is pushed. The car can be driven if its shifted fast and thrown into neutral quickly when stopping, but if the clutch is held in too long then it feels like there is some kind of resistance on the motor which stalls it.

diagnosis so far:
- originally thought it was the iacv clogged or sticking so i cleaned it(did not help) and then raised the idle on the throttle body. I dont believe this was the issue because in neutral the rpms always rebound fine.

-thought it was the throwout bearing/clutch so i replaced the flywheel and clutch kit. still not fixed

-thought it had something to do with rebounding rpms while the clutch/neutral-safety switch was engaged, but i tried just pushing the neutral/safety switch(behind the clutch pedal without actually pushing in the clutch) and reving the engine and it did not stall or hesitate.

-after that ^^^^^ I figured it was a mechanical issue and not electrical so the only thing i could think of was possibly cranklock(popular with dsm's with strong pressure plates) since i have a stage 3 clutch kit. I tried prying backward and forward on the balancer so see if there was any crank endplay but it didnt budge a hair.

ANYONE have any ideas???

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
Car: 88 mk3
motor: 1jz-gte
tranny: r154

Problem: when the clutch is pushed in, the motor stalls

Conditions:
-When the car is cold, it runs and drives fine but when the clutch is pushed in you can see the rpms drop 200 rpm.

-When the car reaches operating temperature, the motor stalls out when the clutch is pushed. The car can be driven if its shifted fast and thrown into neutral quickly when stopping, but if the clutch is held in too long then it feels like there is some kind of resistance on the motor which stalls it.

diagnosis so far:
- originally thought it was the iacv clogged or sticking so i cleaned it(did not help) and then raised the idle on the throttle body. I dont believe this was the issue because in neutral the rpms always rebound fine.

-thought it was the throwout bearing/clutch so i replaced the flywheel and clutch kit. still not fixed

-thought it had something to do with rebounding rpms while the clutch/neutral-safety switch was engaged, but i tried just pushing the neutral/safety switch(behind the clutch pedal without actually pushing in the clutch) and reving the engine and it did not stall or hesitate.

-after that ^^^^^ I figured it was a mechanical issue and not electrical so the only thing i could think of was possibly cranklock(popular with dsm's with strong pressure plates) since i have a stage 3 clutch kit. I tried prying backward and forward on the balancer so see if there was any crank endplay but it didnt budge a hair.

ANYONE have any ideas???

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Crankwalk is easy to spot... have a buddy hop in the car and work the clutch, while you hold on to the front main damper pulley. With the engine off, of course. If the crank is moving, you'll feel it.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
so let me get this striaght

runs fine by it self at a stand still tell you push in clutch and it dies ?

easy way to spot crank walk besides ugly noise it gives

push in clutch and then use a wrench on the front pulley bolt it should never change in re stance if it does then you have a messed thrust washer and you crank just went for walk with out you

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
stock internals.

mods:
-67mm single turbo setup
-440 injectors
-stage 3 clutch kit
-lightweight flywheel
-ac removed

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
Any ideas other than crank walk? I will try diagnosing it Friday when I get back to the car but I would like as many diagnosis ideas as possible so that I can try the next if it is not crank walk.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Does it help if you hold your foot on the throttle when you press in the clutch? You say you ruled out the ISCV, but it's sounding very similar to what mine did. Does manually holding the throttle in keep it from stalling?

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
with the clutch pushed i can keep the motor running if i keep my foot on the gas but if i let it go down under about 1000 rpm then it still tries to kill itself. in neutral, it has no problem idling itself.

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
Does anyone know if i can use a 2jz crank thrust washer for my 1jz?

In one of the "stickys" I see that the main bearings are the same, so would it be save to say that the thrust washer is too since its on one of the main bearings?

Anyone have any pictures of a motor without the oil pan?

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
foordoorracer;1834902 said:
stock internals.

mods:
-67mm single turbo setup
-440 injectors
-stage 3 clutch kit
-lightweight flywheel
-ac removed
at what rpm does it idle normally? when its cold it idles higher right? ee you have a light flywheel.? how much lighter is it? the one thing people dont mention about light flywheels is they creat a signifcant amount of engine braking.. so the motor rves down faster than normal.. so maybe with out the load its reving down to fast and the ecu can not make the changes fast enough to keep it running,, just a thought. try to push clutch in slowly to see if this makes a change. i guess my point is if the rpm are higher when its cold, the ecu has more time to recover than if would if its warmed up

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
im with 525 on this, could just be the flywheel. it alows your to rev quicker, but also alows the motor to slow down just as quick. has it been doing it since you put the flywheel on? or is this just a new thing?

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Crank walk.....don't let that thrust washer to get out of the pocket or it can damage the crank severely. Time to replace the bearings.