Car Sputters While Accelerating

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
DOUBL3 D;1641425 said:
...oil in the spark plug housing, my wires and plugs were DRENCHED especially on cylinders 4-6 towards the back. i dont think its the valve cover gaskets either because it doesnt look like its leaking at all...

If you have oil in the plug galley, and your valve cover gaskets aren't leaking; your most likely culprit is the 3rd cover (or spark plug galley) gasket. Yes, that strip of metal that covers up the spark plug galley is a gasket. I believe a new cover gasket from Toyota is around $35.

Another option to fix this leak, is to remove the gasket completely; and seal up the oil passages under the 14mm hex plugs with oil drain washers. This fix will cost around $3, and leaves the spark plug galley open. Here's how to do this:

If you're removing the 3rd cover gasket completely, the four bolts (circled in yellow) that hold the 3rd cover on, seal oil passages and need a gasket to seal back up after the 3rd cover has been removed. I replaced mine with oil drain washers from NAPA. The NAPA part # is 704-1076. Just take off the cover, put washers around the bottom of the hex plugs to seal them up; and reinstall the hex plugs. You're done. No more leaks.

p1641709_1.jpg

BTW, the three bolts at the bottom of the spark plug galley with arrows pointing to them seal the coolant passages, and should not be touched.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
deabionni;1641709 said:
If you have oil in the plug galley, and your valve cover gaskets aren't leaking; your most likely culprit is the 3rd cover (or spark plug galley) gasket. Yes, that strip of metal that covers up the spark plug galley is a gasket. I believe a new cover gasket from Toyota is around $35.

Another option to fix this leak, is to remove the gasket completely; and seal up the oil passages under the 14mm hex plugs with oil drain washers. This fix will cost around $3, and leaves the spark plug galley open. Here's how to do this:

If you're removing the 3rd cover gasket completely, the four bolts (circled in yellow) that hold the 3rd cover on, seal oil passages and need a gasket to seal back up after the 3rd cover has been removed. I replaced mine with oil drain washers from NAPA. The NAPA part # is 704-1076. Just take off the cover, put washers around the bottom of the hex plugs to seal them up; and reinstall the hex plugs. You're done. No more leaks.

p1642625_1.jpg

BTW, the three bolts at the bottom of the spark plug galley with arrows pointing to them seal the coolant passages, and should not be touched.

thanks for your help, hopefully i can get around to doing this soon.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
ARE YOU SERIOUS? I've been running my car without that strip of metal in the spark plug galley.. NO leaks or such thing though..

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

91 supra turbo;1641717 said:
My car sputters bad too but I have aftermarket bov and the holes where the stock bov goes. Is that bad or no?

You didn't plug the holes????? If you didn't.... WOW. Dude plug the holes. Dirt is getting to the Turbo & Engine. Great for Engine disaster. & you'll be losing boost if you didn't plug the hole in the 3000 intake pipe. So plug it up.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
deabionni;1642754 said:
14mm, as indicated in my previous post.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

just haddddd to make me look like a tard :p jk

i went to harbor freight and home depot and couldn't find a hex nearly that big.

any ideas?

EDIT: called the old machine shop i used to work at and they hooked me up with one. gotta love having the hook ups :p

Last edited:

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
I don't want to reopen an old thread however I think it would be beneficial to the community so please don't ban me mods. I did get a chance to do the plug gallery gaskets (the napa ones) and it worked pretty well. This was on my previous supra. Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I would never get mad when someone reports the reults of a fix.
It pisses me off when the community bends over backwards, analyzing someone's issue, offers suggestions, and we never hear from the thread starter what the result was- it doesn't help the next guy who has the problem. THAT'S why we have so many repetetive threads- because people might search for the answer to their problem, but all the get is other people with the same problem, but no reported solutions!

So I say- well done.