Car Sputters While Accelerating

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Alright so recently anytime i give the car more than part throttle it sputters. The exhaust makes a sputtering sound that accompanies it. I was thinking maybe plug wires or something but im not sure. Also, sometimes if im on it and kick the clutch in really quick while going hard the motor will die.

any suggestions? thanks in advance

mk3<3

Feb 21, 2010
perris
i got the same problem? when im goin hard too and dump the clutch if i dnt keep my rpms up it will die.....some stupid guy that worked in my car took off my stalk bov and closed the line? i guess dats the problem den huh?

Crashoveride

Slurbooo
Aug 18, 2009
Merced,CA
mk3<3;1635412 said:
i got the same problem? when im goin hard too and dump the clutch if i dnt keep my rpms up it will die.....some stupid guy that worked in my car took off my stalk bov and closed the line? i guess dats the problem den huh?

are you driving around without a bov or the stock bypass valve?!?

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
so i know you need a bov. But when you think of it, if we have a recirculated BOV, whats the point? Because no matter what the air is still going to be in our intake system you know. all it does is reroute some of it to a dfferent part of the intake.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
mk3-4-me;1635718 said:
so i know you need a bov. But when you think of it, if we have a recirculated BOV, whats the point? Because no matter what the air is still going to be in our intake system you know. all it does is reroute some of it to a dfferent part of the intake.

The recirculated air goes back to pre-turbo, not post-turbo. Post-turbo wouldn't serve a purpose like you just said, but that's not how it goes. Pre-turbo allows you to recirculate the metered air and prevent compressor surge.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
You guys should check for vac leaks. Missing hoses, hoses that have come loose, worn hoses, hoses not routed correctly, parts not sealing correctly due to worn gaskets or something, etc etc etc. If you don't have engine codes, I'm sure this could be part of the problem, or at least it's a start.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
how good of shape is your intake piping in? the finnal coupler from throttle body to the 3000 pipe is one that useually craps out first, so check it and see. if any of your hoses feel like a hockey puck, time to replace.

i had a similar issue once and the middle? intake gasket was gone, the one where the upper and lower halfs meet. new gasket and i was good to go.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
ok so i checked and i think i have three codes the codes read as follows (-=light on and _=light off) ___-_-__-__-_-_-__-__-_-_-_-_-__-___ then it loops back. i THINK this means i have code 21,31, and 51 which are oxygen sensor signal (im guessing because previous owner installed test pipe), air flow meter (my apex'i intake?), and switch signal which i think is because i left the car in gear and it will throw this code if you leave it in gear while running diagnostics. the only thing i could think that would be different is how the begenning of the loop would start which would mean i would also throw the code for RPM pulse or something in which case it said check distributor, which would make sense because i thought ignition was my problem. I dont think the loop makes sense though because the last part would make no sense.

any ideas? new plugs and wires will be here friday. does anyone know where a vacuum line/hose diagram might be? thanks in advance

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
DOUBL3 D;1637467 said:
any ideas? new plugs and wires will be here friday. does anyone know where a vacuum line/hose diagram might be? thanks in advance

Check attachments ;)

Attachments

• vac3..bmp
    220.4 KB · Views: 17
  • vac5..bmp
    77.9 KB · Views: 33
  • vac-hose..gif
    vac-hose..gif
    63.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Vac23..jpg
    Vac23..jpg
    63 KB · Views: 30
  • vac4..bmp
    75.1 KB · Views: 28

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
by sputters do you mean like? when you press the gas rpms go down?? & when you give it even more gas it goes up?? if so its a TIMING ISSUE. happened to me after starting the car after the rebuild.. the timing was WAAY off got it straight & its been running fine.