Car registration expenses?

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
te72;1722641 said:
Well if you throw insurance into the mix, it can range WILDLY. I pay ~$600 USD for insurance for the Mk3 and Mk2 per year, but a $208 registration fee is absurd. Your toilets flush backwards, your deer have pouches on their bellies, you have 9/10 of the world's most dangerous animals, AND your summer is winter to us. Stupid Australia. :nono: ;)

But the insurance cost I mentioned is all wrapped up in our annual registration fee. You can't NOT pay that!
That insurance only covers basically public liability, etc. It does not cover any damage/theft/fire to my car at all...

Here's a breakdown of where my $789 would go:
Registration - $208
Compulsory 3rd Party Insurance - $476
Stamp Duty on Insurance - $60
Emergency Services Levy - $24 (yes, we get slugged a fee to keep our Emergency Services running on top of our tax :nono:)
Admin Fee - $21

Stupid Australia indeed ;)

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Kai;1721182 said:
Thats $300 per YEAR. It started going down once the new government came in - used to be about $320. Cars post 2001 have an A to F efficiency rating (based on CO2 in kg/m emitted), so someone in band A pays nothing, someone in band B pays $50 a year, whereas someone in band F pays $2000 a year. Anything that gets Band E or less now, incurs a 'gas guzzler tax'...thats anything that gets less than 27mpg, roughly.

damn!

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
te72;1721596 said:
Holy cattle man, that's insane! Granted, I could have fun with a car that gets those kind of figures, but it wouldn't be a factory built car... and not sure how kind the UK MOT inspections are for things built in your garage... :nono:

Well, you made me feel worlds better about paying $127 per year Kai, thanks! :D

Rules changed this year for things 'built in your shed'. As with previous years, any kit car or any vehicle imported from Japan or the US has to go through the SVA test, they check about 200 things on the vehicle, from brakes to lights, emissions and whatnot - to determine if it falls within the 'legal' category. It's expensive, and if you get 1 out of those 200 checks wrong - you have to go away, fix it, and come back for a retest, AT YOUR EXPENSE.

The one thing i'm greatful for in the UK, is that until 1997, cars required NO catalytic converter, EGR, or any emissions crap. This means i can happily run a decat downpipe, ditch the EGR and as long as i can pass the two-speed idle test (HC and CO only), i'm golden :)

Considering that both my MkIII's meet the 1995 requirements for emissions without any of that, i'm kinda happy :D

But yes, back to the question of registration - now you see why i'm wanting to register both my Supra's in Guernsey!!

That, and the fact that insurance in the UK for me on ONE supra is $3500+, and on Guernsey its about $120...it's like England but...sane.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Pokey2301;1722984 said:
but the job market in arizona cant be as bad as whyoming can it?
Quite the opposite actually, kind of like the weather. Jobs are here, but the weather sucks. Weather is great in AZ, but the jobs suck.

gats;1723006 said:
But the insurance cost I mentioned is all wrapped up in our annual registration fee. You can't NOT pay that!
That insurance only covers basically public liability, etc. It does not cover any damage/theft/fire to my car at all...

Here's a breakdown of where my $789 would go:
Registration - $208
Compulsory 3rd Party Insurance - $476
Stamp Duty on Insurance - $60
Emergency Services Levy - $24 (yes, we get slugged a fee to keep our Emergency Services running on top of our tax :nono:)
Admin Fee - $21

Stupid Australia indeed ;)
I see what you mean, so far I seem to be in third place then, behind yourself and Kai. Whole different story, but we don't have state tax taken out of paychecks, so... I guess it levels out.

Kai;1723033 said:
Rules changed this year for things 'built in your shed'. As with previous years, any kit car or any vehicle imported from Japan or the US has to go through the SVA test, they check about 200 things on the vehicle, from brakes to lights, emissions and whatnot - to determine if it falls within the 'legal' category. It's expensive, and if you get 1 out of those 200 checks wrong - you have to go away, fix it, and come back for a retest, AT YOUR EXPENSE.

The one thing i'm greatful for in the UK, is that until 1997, cars required NO catalytic converter, EGR, or any emissions crap. This means i can happily run a decat downpipe, ditch the EGR and as long as i can pass the two-speed idle test (HC and CO only), i'm golden :)

Considering that both my MkIII's meet the 1995 requirements for emissions without any of that, i'm kinda happy :D

But yes, back to the question of registration - now you see why i'm wanting to register both my Supra's in Guernsey!!

That, and the fact that insurance in the UK for me on ONE supra is $3500+, and on Guernsey its about $120...it's like England but...sane.

Can't say I've ever heard of Guernsey, but I see why you register there. Why so expensive to insure there, are cars just tossable items there, or what? Or does it have something to do with the general populace being on *some* drug or another?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Well Cars don't hold their value in the UK at all - i can buy a running car from a pub, from 'some guy' for £50.

That, and the amount of false claims from certain ethnic groups 'oooh, i got whiplash' and the fact that the most minor damage to a car more than 10 years old is usually considered 'totalled'. Ie - if you needed a new fender for the Mk3 - the insurer would rather pay out for the whole book value of the car, than fix it.

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
Kai;1723259 said:
Well Cars don't hold their value in the UK at all - i can buy a running car from a pub, from 'some guy' for £50.

That, and the amount of false claims from certain ethnic groups 'oooh, i got whiplash' and the fact that the most minor damage to a car more than 10 years old is usually considered 'totalled'. Ie - if you needed a new fender for the Mk3 - the insurer would rather pay out for the whole book value of the car, than fix it.

so what is Germany like? im gonna be there in Oct, but just hoping i dont have to go through the pain that locals would since ill be military, i have been told that we just have to have our cars inspected and they arent easy on the inspection at all...

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
The TUV is the hardest inspection you could ever face. They check EVERYTHING. Not just emissions, but the suspension geometry, headlight intensity - wear in the floormats, ffs. The prices aren't too bad, but not as low as the UK.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Kai;1723377 said:
The TUV is the hardest inspection you could ever face. They check EVERYTHING. Not just emissions, but the suspension geometry, headlight intensity - wear in the floormats, ffs. The prices aren't too bad, but not as low as the UK.

yep hes right idk if you ever watched top gear but they took 3 cars through that test they check like brake boil temp all kinds of things..i think there was 200 things you have to pass or something like that

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
digihonk82;1720683 said:
$64.58. Wish in one hand I had hail damage insurance.

We're about $10 higher here in central KS (Russell County) but that's because we have the highest personal property tax rate of any county in KS. KS has you pay your tags (which is something like $12) and your personal property taxes when you tag the car. If you sell it before the tag comes due again you can get it rebated but not at 100%.

John Stricker
Russell, KS