car overheats after 30 miles

89supra884

Apr 8, 2008
chicago
well i just finished the 5 speed turbo swap and i was driving it around perfectly fine, then at about 30 miles the temp started to go up. the car has no thermostat in it, and i made sure i am not leaking anywhere. and i dont think its the water pump because there is no water coming out of the weap hole. anyone???

thankyou

billy

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
RockPaperSwoRD;1560947 said:

Really? BHG?

I really hope your not in the mechanic career field and work on cars daily...
Your the kinda people who see a problem and make a huge assumption and not even try to
rule out other culprit aspects and make innocent civilians pay for huge jobs that DONT need to be fixed/changed.

I'm not saying he does not have a BHG but dont jump straight to huge conclusions...
If i tell you my tranny shifts hard are you gonna tell me to replace the whole thing without knowing anything else?

To OP, Check for codes, Get a thermostat, Check oil for milkyness or signs of coolant mixed in, Let your car cool down then
start it up and open the rad cap and try to see if you can smell exhaust at all.... Are you losing coolant or anything?
Compression test will be the main thing if you can do that, do it first and give us the numbers across the board.

89supra884

Apr 8, 2008
chicago
i put the thermostat back in last night, and when i tried to drive school this morning, after about 30miles it started to overheat, the resivor was bubbling, i checked the oil and it is not the least bit milkey, and it does not smoke or bog on start up, so i dont think there is any coolant getting in the cylinders the rad has not been loosing coolant either, i can drive to to work which is about 10 miles away, and when i check it its still full, could the radiator possisbly be restricted?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
test the radiator cap. test the thermo. (even if both are new) I'd do a leak down test for peace of mind.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
89supra884;1561015 said:
i put the thermostat back in last night, and when i tried to drive school this morning, after about 30miles it started to overheat, the resivor was bubbling, i checked the oil and it is not the least bit milkey, and it does not smoke or bog on start up, so i dont think there is any coolant getting in the cylinders the rad has not been loosing coolant either, i can drive to to work which is about 10 miles away, and when i check it its still full, could the radiator possisbly be restricted?

Well those are awsome signs!

Try burping the rad too...

Again, check for codes, and leak down test.

IJ.;1561110 said:
Stop at 29? ;)

Lmfao haha....

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
He's running straight water... there is a small amount of boil protection due to the pressure from the cap, but not as much as would be if he were running coolant and the pressure cap.
I do agree though...

You should do a block test, check to see if you have combustion gasses leaking into the cooling system. If the test comes up positive, then you have a leaking, or likely blown, head gasket.
Blow head gasket doesn't have to be both oil and coolant, it can be blown into one or the other, too.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Might be dumb but is your t-stat in correct? spring towards engine? kinda odd that it happens at 30 miles, and damn that is a travel for school? Have you tried turning the heater on when its getting hot to see if it cools back down? do the tests mentioned above. also check and make sure rad is not clogged.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I've had a BHG where the cylinder pressure would leak into the cooling passages, but no mixing of oil and coolant, and no reverse of coolant into the combustion chambers.

kingrichard

Aug 5, 2008
philly
I had a problem like this years ago it was a bad headgasket no mixing of coolant and oil but if i drove more than 40 mins it would overheat...pressure test the coolant system, makeing sure you run antifreeze also helps..