Car only cranks while on charger or being jumped

ms0072

Apr 12, 2007
nj
Anyone have any idea why my car wont even crank when I turn the key unless it is hooked up either a charger or being jumped.

It has a brand new battery -- the same battery starts my wifes supra without any problem -- even if I charge the battery fully before trying to start it the car wont crank at all when the key is turned.
Doesnt go dim or show any other signs at all -- it just doesnt crank.
If I hook the charger up to the battery or if I jump it with another car it cranks right away and starts up normally.
it seems like there is a contact somewhere that doesnt make a good connection without the extra juice.

Once started it idles normally.
Possibly related ? -- the car does idle normally but it is running extremely hot and lean.
I havent had any time to troubleshoot it so I havent driven the car since it started.

Could it be CPS related ?
moving the wires at the cps connector doesnt seem to have any affect.

Any ideas ?

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
sounds like a bad connection with the battery and terminals. are they clean? corroded? is your battery truely good? it could have a bad cell, causing it to not hold or even gain a charge.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
actually, i didnt see you use the battery for another car. i would check your cables. especially your ground. are you grounding the jumper cables or charging cables off the battery post or the body? if the body, i would assume your battery ground is bad. and any car can run with out the battery, at least once its been started or running. the alternater keeps it going.