Car is running rough... Not sure why

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
When the car is idling, the car shakes a LOT. Also, even when not at idle, sometimes when I press the gas a little bit the car will vibrate. We've changed the spark plugs/wires and the fuel pressure regulator. When I turn the key into the on position (not even starting it) I can hear fuel being pumped into the rail.

The car throws out no codes either.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
if you can hear "hear fuel being pumped into the rail" without the car running then something is wrong.

first do a complete tune up. after that reset the ECU and drive the car around. After that check codes. After that, follow the troubleshooting procedures in the TSRM.

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
during normal driving it misses too.....its weird cuz the car was running perfect until he decided to fill it up with gas

i checked everything.....cap and rotor, plugs, wires, vac leaks, fuel pump relay, afm...im running out of ideas

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You know, guess what is wrong with the car when you haven't seen it can be tough. Things get left out of the description, or the description does not match how you would describe what was the same problem.

And there is a lot of assumptions take about little things. Assumptions that things are done.

So anyway, from here, you might just have a dead miss. To run bad and vibrate when driving isn't good. That doesn't mean BHG right off the bat either.

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
TSRM troubleshoot FTW do the Rough Idle/Miss trouble shoot go through that and see whats up don't skip steps. If you really want to find out whats wrong all you can do is elimnate what is working properly. Also on the ISC cleaning I would do this because that was the problem with my car when I got it, would idle rough/miss at low speeds, run great at WOT but would also vibrate sometimes at all speeds. Replaced it with a good ISC, new gasket, new Seal and check valve and was good to go.(My car also idle surged and sometimes would stall and not always start back right away.)

Good Luck, seriously though Diagnose it.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
mkIIIman089 said:
You gave us no info on what codes came up.

I stated this in the first post: "The car throws out no codes either."

Also, iceberg319 is my brother, just so you guys know. (Just thought I would clear anything up)

George

oct86
Feb 18, 2007
Brown County
Maybe it's a bad injector. It will sure idle rough without one of those, and it won't put out any codes, to the best of my knowledge. You can listen to your injectors with a stethoscope right on the plug connectors.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
aside from checking the condition of the wired, you DID check to see that they were all going to their correct cylinders? easy mistake, eaisly overlooked...everything appears normal...but its really way off.

my car idled like shit and chugged when i mis-placed #2 and #4 i believe...

i had just done a BHG fix and was VERY upset when it ran soo poorly..then fely silly when i realised my mistake.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
iceberg319 said:
during normal driving it misses too.....its weird cuz the car was running perfect until he decided to fill it up with gas

i checked everything.....cap and rotor, plugs, wires, vac leaks, fuel pump relay, afm...im running out of ideas

You need to take a fuel sample in a glass jar. The gas he got probably has water in it. Its condensation build up in the tanks at the station. He probably got gas from the bottom of the tank, and pulled some water with it. If there is water in the gas, get some gas dry from the local parts store, and pour it in the tank.