car dies when i let off the throttle

JWicked

May 8, 2015
missouri
i intermittently hear the circuit opening relay and fuel pump relay chatter on and off (and most of the time the car dies) when i let off the throttle. any ideas anyone?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not much to go on but bad AFM, loose connection, or bad harness. Check the AFM first and re-seat the associated plugs and relays although there are better ways to pinpoint this problem if you're competent using a DMM.

JWicked

May 8, 2015
missouri
yes i suspect the afm, tps, or was even wondering clogged fuel filter. this is my first supra and has taught me much to say the least. the car sat for about 8 yrs. i've had some corrosion causing voltage issues but have since fixed them. my multimeter is newly broken and not sure of the proper value to term. designation, and have been told the manual is wrong anyways. also didnt know if this was one of those "common supra issues".

JWicked

May 8, 2015
missouri
yes i cleaned the tank, did not change pump and just got the fuel filter. now just gotta get up in there to change it. AFM ohm tested bad. gonna get one ordered and see what happens next. any suggestions on the best one for my buck? lol

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
The AFMs on the 7M-GE tend to be very reliable (unlike on the 7M-GTE) . . .

I bet you just have a dirty connector somewhere - on the AFM, TPS, Distributor, etc

As just posted on another thread, on ALL engines people should unplug all the connectors every 3-4 years, give both sides a squirt with proper Electrical Contact Cleaner/Lubricant (Like Electrolube or Servisol), then plug and unplug a few times to remove the dirt & residue.

If people did this more often they would get far fewer problems!