Car dies mid shift when A/C is on

Josh Kushner

Jun 22, 2015
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

i have searched for this on here before and found similar problems but not this particular one, my car idles about 2-300 rpm lower when the A/C is on, so when I'm driving and shift at a high rpm, when it drops back down it goes past idle and shuts off while I'm driving. the idle dips when i press on the brake and move the steering wheel, my idle also feels as though it has an occasional kick. i assumed it was the IACV or the alternator so i already went and bought a new, higher amp alternator, it hasn't come in yet unfortunately. any advice to fix the issue would be greatly appreciated!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Does it fast idle on a cold start or idle up when the headlights are on? If so check the AC input signal to the ECU. Quick way to do that is go into diag mode and look for a code 51 with the AC button lit and your foot off the gas pedal. The engine does not have to be running. Verify the code goes away when the AC is off. Might also want to check the dashpot.

Josh Kushner

Jun 22, 2015
Los Angeles
when started from a cold start, it hesitates to turn over slightly and then it revs to about 2k rpm and then drops to idle (1k rpm). i haven't noticed it rising in idle when the headlights are on though. and how would i go about reading engine codes on obd1?