CAR CAUGHT ON FIRE!!!!!! please help asap

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
ok so i just finished the 1j swap and got it all hooked up. i filled up all the fluids and took it out for a test drive. i prolly drove like 4 miles, any way i was driving and all of the sudden the car just shut off. so i get out pop the hood and my clutch line had caught on fire but the wierd thing is that it was the only thing burning. so i pulled the battery cable and put out the flames but when i put the pos cable back n the check engine light started flickering and i could hear a strange noise coming from the ecu. so my question is what the hell would cause this as theres no wiring by the clutch line at least not where the fire started the only thing i could think of is one of my ground straps went bad when i welded the exhaust up. so if anybody has any idea as to what would cause this just let me know. also is there a right and a wrong way to install a clutch disk because if there is im pretty sure i did it wrong because my stock type disk wont hold my stock motor as soon as i start pulling any boost it starts slipping so i also need some info on that. like i said any info about both of these problems would help me greatly.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Its probably because of that ground strap:( Without a solid engine ground, the engine tried to ground through the clutch line, got hot, and caught fire. Get a good ground or two on that engine.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
thats what i way thinking i have 3 more on it now 2 on the trans and one more on the engine. but anybody have any idea about the clutch issue

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have the DriftMotion clutch line. It has a protective covering over it and stop it from shorting out. Did you route it properly through the existing brackets and mounted it properly?

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
i have the same line and is still shorted out. but what is the proper route? mine is just run straight from the master to the slave it doesn't touch anything on the car besides the master and slave.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
There should be a bracket you can route it through on the bottom of the car. You should also have a battery to chassis ground and a battery to engine ground.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
i have the battery to engine ground hooked up ad the two manifold ground straps but that was it.after the fire i now have two grounds on the transmission one on the bell housing and one on the tail housing also theirs one the head no but i still don't have one from battery to chassis so ill put one on asap.

IBoughtASupra: you know any thing about my clutch issue? i just wanna know if there is a right and a wrong way for the clutch disk (if a certain side should face a certain way)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Interesting... The stock rubber line wouldn't have that issue, might be a hidden danger.

I wouldn't think it would happen though unless you're missing the main ground that goes directly to the block.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You also need/should have a fairly meaty strap from block to frame also. Any chance you put the clutch friction disc in backwards? Depending on the make model combo it is possible to do and will function but poorly. <<<---I did this once on my 7m myself.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
flateric: if its possible to do then that must be what i did as the disk and pressure plate are like new and the flywheel is new so ill switch that tonight. thanks
also where do you recommend i put the strap from the block to frame or does it matter?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Check all of your grounds again, I had an issue with my alternator and its ground, basically came loose and was arcing like mad. So check and make sure all of the connections are tight, all it takes is a loose nut to cause chaos.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
On my car it was on the back of the block near the firewall to the body and frame. Under the car on the bottom of the firewall there are a number of suitable points. Mine had a meaty 2 guage from the fire wall to a bolt that went directly into the cast iron of the block. Interestingly and relative to your situation, I had initially forgotten to replace this strap when I did my 2jz swap and it was weak turning over and then I noticed other smaller guage wires were heating up.

I believe essentially that the system was finding other grounds, obviously far less suitable and less able to handle the amps. So I think you'll find having a major ground is of significant importance. I suspect RCTS put this on my car when they did my old HKS 7M setup. Reg Reimer does not do anything halfway and his work is always "nothing but the best" so I trust it's nessecity and placement.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
mikes_88_supra;1683804 said:
Ok well when im down there fixing the clutch ill put one there as well

Your clutch disk should have the majority exposed side of the springs facing the transmission (assuming you have a sprung disk).

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
well i fixed the ground issue but i cant get the damn transmission out. i cant get the top 2 bolts out of the bell housing anybody got any advice on how to get those out

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Drop the tranny support, to allow the motor and tranny to tilt back. Once you have created a little more room, use 18+ inches of extension and swivel to reach the top bolts. I'm not too familiar with the 1J, but the 7M has the possibility of the clutch fan contacting the radiator like this. Keep a jack under the mount, and be careful not to allow any damage at the front of the motor.

Also, be sure to remove the pressure plate bolts before trying to remove the tranny.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
thats what i tried but i couldnt get it. when i dropped the tranny support it only dropped like 2 inches and i couldnt get up in there and get the bolts but ill give it another try

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
And more bad news i fried my alternator with the fire. as soon as i started it up and the e-fan kicked on the alternator started clicking then it quit charging