car acting wierd

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
i had a few posts last week on here about my cars temperature going up and down and up and down and how i put the etal head gasket in and never had the block milled but had it cleaned perfect before i put the metal head gasket on.. yes i had the head milled. I had my heater core by passed with a hose because i thought it was busted.. but i dont think it is.. i hooked it back up.. and that day it didnt over heat once . the whole day.. i take it out the next day the coolant light comes on that its low and it starts to over heat. and then drop right back down to normal after about 30-60 seconds. the coolant light came on again that it was low and the overfill tank was empty.. the thing is.. i dont know where the coolant went those times because i could smell it.. but didnt see any leak anywhere.. my oil looks perfect. i had to overfill hos epointed upward so i would see it spray on the bottom side of my hood but there was nothing.. after that happened about 2 times.. the car drove perfect the rest of the day with no temp fluctuation really.. im very very confused.. anyone have any ideas?

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Here's an idea-

p982375_1.jpg

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ For the 3rd or 4th time!

He also made sure the block deck was very smooth...with a rotory abrasive :3d_frown:

Look man, if you're not going to listen there's no point in keeping on posting this kind of thread. You're going to get the same answers...when a BHG occurs, the failure can manifest itself several ways. Coolant in the oil is one, but it does not have to happen that way every time. Exhaust gas in the coolant will show almost every time though, and until you test for it, you will remain confused.

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
jdub;982613 said:
^^^ For the 3rd or 4th time!

He also made sure the block deck was very smooth...with a rotory abrasive :3d_frown:

Look man, if you're not going to listen there's no point in keeping on posting this kind of thread. You're going to get the same answers...when a BHG occurs, the failure can manifest itself several ways. Coolant in the oil is one, but it does not have to happen that way every time. Exhaust gas in the coolant will show almost every time though, and until you test for it, you will remain confused.

ha yea i tried that bro.. bought the kit from napa and then when i hooked the kit up after about 5 minutes coolant started to push up through the test tube and flowing through the top like a water fountain and shooting like 4 feet high. it pushed all the test blue liquid right out.. couldnt even use the damn thing. i dont even know what to do.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
I've just read your other thread on this topic and I'm going to formulate a few guesses here.

1: The reason you are loosing coolant and can't find where it's going is probably because it is coming out your overflow bottle while driving.

2: The reason you keep finding air in the rad is that you probably have a BHG and exhaust gas is probably getting into the coolant system, filling it, pushing the aformentioned coolant out of the overflow.

3: The reason you 'probably' have a BHG is because you used (to quote JDUB) "a rotary abrasive" to clean and smooth the block deck.

4: The reason you won't listen....I have NFI

I can guess at these things but I can't be certain. What I'm certain of, is that you are convinced that using a rotary tool on the deck of the block is ok and that it can be anything but a BHG because you've already 'fixed' it.

As far as using the Block Tester, I've never used one, so I can't comment, but I have been through the BHG game a couple of times before I found sites like this with knowledgeable people who knew what to do to fix the problem. I had my 7M built almost 5 years ago now and it was done based on the same information you will easily find on this site. I have yet to have any problems. In other words...when knowledgable people told me what needed to be done, I listened. My advice to you...LISTEN!

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
when you reconnected the heater core, did you add coolant and burp the system? that could be why you dont have coolant and your temp needle is jumping around.
-pete

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
Anth505;982717 said:
I've just read your other thread on this topic and I'm going to formulate a few guesses here.

1: The reason you are loosing coolant and can't find where it's going is probably because it is coming out your overflow bottle while driving.

2: The reason you keep finding air in the rad is that you probably have a BHG and exhaust gas is probably getting into the coolant system, filling it, pushing the aformentioned coolant out of the overflow.

3: The reason you 'probably' have a BHG is because you used (to quote JDUB) "a rotary abrasive" to clean and smooth the block deck.

4: The reason you won't listen....I have NFI

I can guess at these things but I can't be certain. What I'm certain of, is that you are convinced that using a rotary tool on the deck of the block is ok and that it can be anything but a BHG because you've already 'fixed' it.

As far as using the Block Tester, I've never used one, so I can't comment, but I have been through the BHG game a couple of times before I found sites like this with knowledgeable people who knew what to do to fix the problem. I had my 7M built almost 5 years ago now and it was done based on the same information you will easily find on this site. I have yet to have any problems. In other words...when knowledgable people told me what needed to be done, I listened. My advice to you...LISTEN!
im not saying at all that i dont have a BHG...im saying i really dont know... i aimed my overspray hose at the hood so i would see spray at the hood. but theres never anything...soo idk

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
OK. You said you used the block tester, but you had coolant come spraying at you at high velocity. The test only takes < 60 seconds, how much coolant did you drain before you tested it? If you are having problems, drain the entire radiator and test it. Don't forget to plug the overflow port on the radiator while testing, the tester will suck fresh air or coolant (whichever is present in the overflow) if you do not block this off while testing, resulting in a false negative reading.

Reread the block tester's instructions.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Better yet. If you can't figure out how to properly use that test kit, go to an aquarium store, or hell, even Wal Mart and buy a Ph test kit and READ the instructions, use a sample of your collant (buy a chicken baster or something if you have to) and then report back you findings on what Ph it's at.

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
you need to ensure the block is prepped for a metal head gasket otherwise it won't seal unless you use alot of copper gasket the one you spray but that still doesn't guarantee if it will seal. I did on my 87t without having the block prepped meaning milled to a certain RA smoothness. Just pull out the head and slap on the the oe headgasket. my engine kept on pumping out all of my coolant out of the reservoir. You need to one or the other if you want the easiest just slap on an oe headgasket. or pull the whole engine and have both surface resurfaced.

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
Frank Rizzo;982819 said:
OK. You said you used the block tester, but you had coolant come spraying at you at high velocity. The test only takes < 60 seconds, how much coolant did you drain before you tested it? If you are having problems, drain the entire radiator and test it. Don't forget to plug the overflow port on the radiator while testing, the tester will suck fresh air or coolant (whichever is present in the overflow) if you do not block this off while testing, resulting in a false negative reading.

Reread the block tester's instructions.

that might be the problem that i didnt block the radiator overflow port.