Can't nobody Helicoil like I do

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Ok, the reason I did these Helicoils was because the bolts were spinning freely, and i didn't feel comfortable leaving it like that, only clamping on one side of the cap.
Yeah, this ain't your regular exhaust stud coil :p

Helicoiling your cam cap bolts

Step 0
We assume for space purposes that you have already gotten the crap off the top of the engine and are looking at your cams with or without the caps installed still.

Step 1
Remove the problem cap and drill out the hole. Before you drill take the little steel ring out of the hole, it's the thing that sits at the top and helps alight the cap. Use a 21/64th bit as said on the Helicoil box to drill.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Step 2
Use the tap provided in the kit and tap the hole. I used the blue shop towel to keep aluminum pieces from sticking to the oily surfaces in and around the cam journals. Small metal pieces here = super bad.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Close-up, albeit a shitty one.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Step 3
screw one coil onto the insertion device and screw it securely into the new hole. Once you reach the bottom, use a pik to break off the little tab at the bottom of the coil. A sharp strike with a hammer helps.
This pic is me screwing the coil in.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Step 4
Admire your handywork. Put the little alignment ring back in and tap with a hammer.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Step 5
Clean up any debris left in the cam area, and re-install the cam, followed by the caps. Begin torquing them down in the correct sequence.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Step 6
Realize that the other bolt you knew was stripping has completely stripped now. Take the cam caps back off in sequence and follow that with the removal of the cam. :icon_razz

Step 7

Repeat the first few steps, drilling, tapping, and coiling your second hole. Don't forget to break off that little tab after installing that coil!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Both holes, coiled and strong. Why did these 2m so close together, fail? WHo knows.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Step 8
Re-torque the cam caps again, after installing the cam. ***Be sure to place some toyota silicone along the sides of the front cam cap as illustrated in the tsrm. One strip along the whole side to help seal in the oil. THEN you can install the cap and begin torquing.***
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Step 9
Install the cam seals. I put a light grease on it to slide it with ease over the cam.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Both seals installed. Make sure they are facing the correct way. The flat side is facing outward.
p218192_1.jpg

Step 10
Re-install the cam backing plate using all 6 of your brand new toyota anodized bolts :icon_razz Failing that, use your regular old bolts.
p218192_2.jpg

Step 11
Re-install the valvecovers. Be sure to put some silicon in the front corners by the first cap as illustrated in the tsrm to prevent oil leakage. Secure the covers with the new hexhead bolts you bought to prevent stripping the stoch ones.
Install the cams and bolts. Take a picture of your engine for the soon to follow write-up.
p218192_3.jpg

Here's the kit I used
sm_photo_missing.jpg

**Note of interrest: I had just picked up my idler pulley and spring today so those items which are visible are brand new also! I love finally getting them. the idler I got for $80 and the spring was $10. Those prices were why I hadn't done it sooner.

eric

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Nicely done man! Now do all your exhaust manifold studs while the motor is outside the car ;)

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks guys. I know it's not very amazing to have done Helicoil, I just figured I did it in a wierd spot, as I've not heard of others coiling their cam caps yet. I would to the exhaust studs, but they are all fine for now. I did them on my old head only because they were shitty.
eric

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
time for the exhaust mani next. must be that season, i just saw another thread for that

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Stretch said:
Thanks guys. I know it's not very amazing to have done Helicoil, I just figured I did it in a wierd spot, as I've not heard of others coiling their cam caps yet. I would to the exhaust studs, but they are all fine for now. I did them on my old head only because they were shitty.
eric

Yeah...the only reason I said do it now is it is a weak area on the head. Really common for the expansion of the hot iron exhaust manifold to weaken the aluminum threads and then they strip. It's easy to helicoil when you can walk around the motor ;)