cant get trans out need opinions!

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Trying to swap out transmissions on my supra, w58. I got the trans to slide back 3/4 inch and it wont come off. It seems to me like the pilot bearing came out of the crank and is stuck on the trans shaft and wont come past the clutch? Anyone run into something like this? Please post up ASAP im working on it now. :1zhelp:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
RedGT;1412410 said:
Trying to swap out transmissions on my supra, w58. I got the trans to slide back 3/4 inch and it wont come off. It seems to me like the pilot bearing came out of the crank and is stuck on the trans shaft and wont come past the clutch? Anyone run into something like this? Please post up ASAP im working on it now. :1zhelp:

You know for sure the pilot bearing is stuck on the shaft? If so I really don't know what one can do other than unbolt the pressure plate but I doubt that's possible! You may just be letting too much pressure on the trans and not letting the clutch disk slide off the trans shaft....Jack up the front of the motor so it tilts back and gives you more room in the trans tunnel...then try to keep the weight off the shaft by lifting the trans..

You are sure you unhooked the speedo cable etc correct?

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I am a tech by trade so I know I have all the stupid stuff disconnected. I am using a trans jack for this job too. I wish there was a inspection plate in the bellhousing... I cant see much through the clutch fork hole. all I can see is the splines of the shaft going into the clutch disk. It all looks normal. I know that its a bigger issue than a trans swap if the pilot bearing came out... I just dont know what to do to get the trans off... I've exhausted all of my Ideas.

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Thanks for the quick suggestions guys! still not off but Im prying everywhere I can. it seems to be walking off a nanometer at a time...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Yup...prybar and wooden wedges as your gonna start opening the pressure plate and it will probably travel pretty far while staying under tension...wooden wedges will let you reposition the prybar without the clutch pulling the trans back to square 1.

All I gotta say in this situation is "better you than me" lol.

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I just cant get it... the pressure plate is just acting as a spring and is dampening my effort everytime I pry. I then unbolted the shift fork pivot, removed the TO bearing retainers and pushed the fork into the bellhousing to get a better look, or to perhaps unbolt the PP. I think I am going to cut the shift fork hole bigger to try to get to the bolts. Pray for me. lol.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
RedGT;1412480 said:
I just cant get it... the pressure plate is just acting as a spring and is dampening my effort everytime I pry. I then unbolted the shift fork pivot, removed the TO bearing retainers and pushed the fork into the bellhousing to get a better look, or to perhaps unbolt the PP. I think I am going to cut the shift fork hole bigger to try to get to the bolts. Pray for me. lol.

Did you read my post? I already told you a solution too the pressure plate acting as a spring!

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Yup...prybar and wooden wedges as your gonna start opening the pressure plate and it will probably travel pretty far while staying under tension...wooden wedges will let you reposition the prybar without the clutch pulling the trans back to square 1.

All I gotta say in this situation is "better you than me" lol.

Yea I read your post (I dont know how to quote people...) there is no way that wedges were working, as soon as you got to one point and put wedges in and go to pry farther they would fall out. Plus me(125lbs) + 4 foot prybar didnt quite do anything productive.

Anyway I got the trans out by unbolting the PP and as I suspected the pilot bearing is siezed onto the trans input shaft. I blame the bearing that was supplied to me with the SPEC clutch kit. Ill be picking up a OEM tomorrow.

Ill try to post up some pics. And once again thanks for the suggestions guys!

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I'm not sure what to refer to them as but there are the reversible F clamps. You can put two between the bell and block and you and a friend can crank them open at the same time. If you don't have a friend, not saying you don't have friends :icon_razz just maybe none available, crank each about a half turn at a time so you don't come out crooked or one doesn't fall out.