Can't get the damn nut off

K Spec

May 14, 2006
San Diego
I'm trying to get the top center nut, off one of the taillights, on my 89. I can't see the thing, but an 8mm is the only thing that fits over. I've been trying to get it off, for the last hour, but the socket feels like it's just spinning on the nut. Can't get a 7mm, over it. Anyone have any tricks they'd like to share?

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I'd guess the socket may not be deep enough to grab the nut, Try a deep socket. Try putting the socket on the nut first and then try just slipping tip of the extension half way in. I know, it sounds kinky.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Keep spinning.........that shaft is pretty long. But I guess if you have the others off, you should have figured that aout by now.

Also, try to get a hand or tool behind it (if already somewhat loose). Then apply pressure from the back side as you turn the wrench. They can also get hung on the end of the shaft after the threads, and just not fall off. If it's the last one on there, and it is somewhat loose, you could push the light out enough to keep pressure on it while you turn

K Spec

May 14, 2006
San Diego
Joel W. said:
I'd guess the socket may not be deep enough to grab the nut, Try a deep socket. Try putting the socket on first and then try just slipping tip of the extension half way in. I know, it sounds kinky.
Thanks for the tip, but I bought a set of deeps sockets for the job. I guess, if all else fails, I could take it to toyota and tell them not to screw it up.:biglaugh:

K Spec

May 14, 2006
San Diego
Yellow 13 said:
Sometimes those nots will get corroded from moisture build up. As Joel said try a deeper socket.

If all else fails try cussing at it til your out of breath.
Oh, yeah. It's been leaking for months. Thats probably the problem.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I once lost a deep well 8mm in a parts car trying to get to the one in the corner. It fell off, and down into the rear quarter somewhere. Before I had it hauled off, I cut out that quarter, but still couldn't find it.hehehehe

I was trying the JoelW method of the tip slip

K Spec

May 14, 2006
San Diego
It's damn hot, and I'm starving. Eff!!! I don't want to pay someone to do this, but I probably will. I hate body and interior projects!!!!!!:icon_evil

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
if the deep socket doesnt solve the problem. place the piece of paper towel over the socket hole when u put it over the nut. it'll give it a tighter grip. sounds stupid i know but it's worked for me a cpl time. try it out if all else fails. let us know how it goes

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
FT: here is the tool for dropped sockets.
KDT3437.jpg

K Spec: I looked at mine and I do not see any oddities so the stud might* be spinning. :dunno:

I would try carefully prying the light away from the body while loosening the nut with all the others out of course.

K Spec

May 14, 2006
San Diego
Thanks for all the help. Tried everything suggested, except for your special tool, Joel, and a rattle gun; I don't have either. Sun's setting and I don't have any lights, so today's a wrap. Maybe I'll just do something dumb, like epoxy the socket to the nut.:biglaugh: Anyway. Thanks. Hopefully, I'll have better luck, tommorow.