Cant get Strut assembly out

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
Makes me feel dumb for having to ask but im in a pickle so I just need assistance. So, over the weekend I wanted to throw on the rear set of Stance coilovers I bought a month ago before I hand the car over to Jose for some things. Anyhow, I get the rear driver side done easily and move onto the passenger rear...well I loosened the top bolts to the struts, and remove the bottom bolt thru the strut eye. Then the strut expands and the lower portion of the strut wedges itself between the control arm and the part where the sway bar mounts. I manage to wiggle it so the top of the strut and spring is lowered but I can not angle the assembly our of the wheel well because of how the strut wedged itself when I tried to remove it.

I guess im asking if im forced to remove the control arm to allow me to remove the strut assembly or is there an easier way to get it out?

Here is a picture I quickly made to illustrate the position of the BLUE Tokico Strut assembly. Its at the point if I even position the top part at its mounting location, the expanded shock still protrudes and is sorta wedged in this location.

shock.jpg

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
Ya might just have to remove the control arm because yes the strut is expanded so it wont clear and due to it being lodged in that position, pressing on the hub doesnt allow any more clearance because the strut cant be pulled at an angle to allow it to come out. I guess removing the upper arm is the only way to dislodge it.

I used spring compressors but that only compresses the spring and the strut is still fully expanded not helping the situation

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Just undo the upper control arm bolt! It's the long one that goes all the way through It's 19mm, just did it and it is worth your time and effort to take it out!!

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Hello Charles, Is the other wheel on the ground? If the wheel is on the ground, you are fighting the swaybar. If you step on the brake rotor hub it should give you enough clearance to get it out. I have done hundreds of shock installs on mk3's and mk4's and have never taken the rear upper A-arms off.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
soapra;1239418 said:
Hello Charles, Is the other wheel on the ground? If the wheel is on the ground, you are fighting the swaybar. If you step on the brake rotor hub it should give you enough clearance to get it out. I have done hundreds of shock installs on mk3's and mk4's and have never taken the rear upper A-arms off.

Jose's got it. They don't mean step on the brake pedal, they mean step on the caliper so the suspension assembly droops more.

Also, it would be easy to compress the shock and use a piece of bailing-type wire to wrap between the mounts to prevent it from expanding. (Very much like how the shocks come out of the box)

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
shaeff;1239457 said:
Jose's got it. They don't mean step on the brake pedal, they mean step on the caliper so the suspension assembly droops more.

Also, it would be easy to compress the shock and use a piece of bailing-type wire to wrap between the mounts to prevent it from expanding. (Very much like how the shocks come out of the box)

lol I know not to step on the brake pedal but moving the hub doesnt help based on the fact on how the strut is positioned. But Jose caught me.....the opposite wheel is still on the ground and I have probably been fighting the sway bar. So tonight I will lift the other side and see how it goes. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
mine was stuck in there just like that.I put it back were it was held it there and than had somone step on the brake so I could slide it threw.It's going to take a few trys.Good luck