cant get engine out

Eskimo

Aug 16, 2011
Moscow Mills, MO
ive disconected everything the back of the engine block is about two inches away from the trans yet wont come any farther ive tried prying on them

Eskimo

Aug 16, 2011
Moscow Mills, MO
manual. i wanted to pull the trans with it but see i have my dad helpin me with it an he insisted it would be easier to leave it in. i have no way to take or post pics

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Easier to pull trans with. Much easier. Did you unbolt the pressure plate bolts?

I'd say put trans back on. But it's up to you.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, it's in the GE section, so I'm assuming it's an NA with an W58. If that's the case, then it sounds like it's stuck on the pilot bearing and you're not pulling it straight back.

If it's a turbo, then you're not pulling it correctly at all, but I don't think that's the case here (since your profile says you have a GE).

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I believe it's stuck on the splines on a bind.

Pilot bearing is only about an inch long, if he's 2" away then he's cleared that.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I believe it's stuck on the splines on a bind.

Pilot bearing is only about an inch long, if he's 2" away then he's cleared that.

Stuck on the Pressure plate bolts??? Don't think so.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
Connections on the trans itself?
When I pulled a w58 from under the car I had my cousin twist the whole trans left and right while I pried if off the engine.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
For R154 trans (turbo) the fork will have to come out before the trans and engine can be separated, make sure no more bolts and supports are holding the two together. For a W58 (non turbo) the bolts around engine/trans are all removed and should just pull right out, unless the input shaft is stuck onto the pilot bearing then that may be the cause of the problem. Like they said life is SOOO much easier with the engine and trans removed together.

justbeinfrank

Jul 6, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
I just had this problem last week and as it was mentioned earlier it is stuck on the fork. You have to go underneath and pop out the pin holding the fork on it makes it a little easier if you push the motor back on. I had the trouble inns r154 but I'm sure its the same on the w58.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
yall seem to forget the locating pins on the bellhousing tend to lock up make it hard to remove the trans....

on a w58 there is no reason to undo the clutch fork or pressure plate as its not a pull type clutch.

if i where you id put a couple bolts back in the trans and pull the motor trans and all and then pull them apart later.