Cannot reinstall power steering pump. New problems added

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
I am in the process of changing the power steering belt. I removed the top tension bolt. I may have made the mistake of removing the pivot bolt completely instead of just loosing it. Having said that, I removed the old belt and placed the new one but now I cant fit the pivot bolt through the pump back in. Any tips?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Take the belt off. Move the pump in place and install the bolt. Then put belt on and then use prybar to put tension on the belt and tighten.

There should 2 bolts iirc. One that holds it in place in the slot and one that pivots it in place. Only need to loosen both of them.

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
OK.. So once I have the pivot bolt properly screwed in, I am suppose to loosen the pivot bolt and tension bolt. Then I swivel the pulley to the right in order to attach the belt. And then once the belt is attached I use the pry bar to move the pump back in place and tighten both bolts? Like in this pic..
imag0996n.jpg

I am also changing the belt that attaches to the alternator.
Should I loosen to tension bolt on the bottom, swivel the alternator downwards, install the belt and then pry it back to the correct position and tighten?

imag0999.jpg
\

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ps pic and question correct.

alt. loosen the pivot bolt and the other bolt and then lift up slightly on the alt and you should be able to spin the nut down real fast. No need to use a pry bar when tioghtening. lift it up and spin the nut as high as you can go by hand and then use a 10mm wrench to do the rest. Suppose you could use a prybar too actually and might actually be faster if you can find a good place to put it. then tighten the other 2 after.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There's also a brace and bolt on the back of the PS pump IIRC that needs to be loosened to change the belt. Had that bolt get loose and the belt would flip over at high RPM.

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Thanks for the help guys. I got all the belts back in place.

But i have a new problem now. I cant figure out where this wire is suppose to plug in. I remember pulling it by accident one day and the cable came somewhere from the bottom of the engine block.
imag1003d.jpg

My wiring harness is a mess, I need to wrap all the cables back together. But first i need to know where that cables goes.

Also, is that cable line for the oil pressure gauge? Ever since i pulled that cable my oil gauge needle has skyrocketed.
imag1005.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it came from the blocka dn your gauge is like that i would put 2 and 2 together and say it goes for that.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check the oil rpessure sensor its more towards the front of the car then the oil filter housing.

Little gold round thing with a thing on the top that that crimp connector wills lide onto.

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Are u talking about this thing? Its right next to the oil filter. I attached the cable to it but I didn't want to connect the battery terminals just yet. lol
imag1007.jpg