Cannot get CPS to 10º per TSRM.

7mx63

Aug 14, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
As stated, I have been messing with this CPS off and on since I rebuilt the motor a few years ago. If I install per TSRM, I cannot get it to the 10º recommended timing (TE1 and E1 jumped). If I turn all the way until it bottoms out, I can get it to 15º. If I remove the CPS and move it one tooth over on the cam, I can rotate the CPS in the opposite direction, but I can only get it to 5º before it bottoms out.

I am about to dremel out a small bit of the CPS in order to twist it a bot more to get me closer, but I thought I would throw this out to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

I do have a 2.0mm head gasket instead of the typical thinner ones (1.0, 1.2?); but at the time I needed it, Cometic only had the 2.0 in stock. I think I recall someone saying that a thicker head gasket, without block machining to match, will throw off the cam alignment due to the belt stretch, or cam/crank centerline measurements being off; I can't remember.

TL;DR

CPS is 5º off, causing motor to be at either at 15º or 5º when turned to maximum adjustment. Thoughts?

7mx63

Aug 14, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
I'll double check and reset TPS if needed. Rpm sits at 650, and I've been running it at 15 degrees for the last two years without any issues. Now that my other Cressida swap is finished, I'm just trying to figure out what's been causing this.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Hahah it does happen, I did that when I first got my car running. Set the engine to TDC (piston #1 at the top and the balancer reading "0" ) and then reinstall the CPS as per spec from the TSRM

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
7mx63;1898657 said:
How odd. I've never had a motor run with timing 180 off.

It's waste spark. 1&6 fire at the same time. 1 on exhaust the other on compression stroke and vise versa.

7mx63

Aug 14, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
Shit. I've had this thing off and on at least a dozen times since the rebuild a few years ago. I should have had it right at least once; even by accident, haha. Thanks guys.