candy brandy wine

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
yea that guy said it was a special custom candy paint that looks expensive to. thats what im worried about ill be upset if i get a scratch with new 3h1 paint but with candy paint id probly cry.lol

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Yea the color i liked if it got scratched, hit, dig's u name it required a complete re paint sooo we went another way. very nice color though.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
If you're looking for a budget paint job do not go with candy. It takes someone who really knows the process, and how to properly lay out a candy paint job. Which means you're going to pay dearly for it. Otherwise it can and most likely will come out blotchy, uneven, and just plain wrong looking if you try to cheap out on a candy paint job. I've seen it alot.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Candy and stock paint are two totally different animals. I did all the body work on Tekdeus' widebody car. Candy paint is very expensive and almost twice the work. I would guess a full candy paint job would run in the $5000-10 000 range minimum. Being in the industry I also know that is is really really difficult to repair if a panel needs repainting, normally at the least you will have to re-paint the whole side to blend the color in.

Candy is basically a base coat color, (silver or similar), than the mid coat which is multiple coats of tinted clear coat then the top coat of clear. Now every coat of the mid coat makes the paint darker, as it is transperant, so a candy red with say 4 coats of the mid coat will be lighter than with 6 coats. So to repair say a door, you will be blending the new paint ontop of the old paint which will make the door darker than the rest of the car, as you will end up with 8-12 coats on the repaired area, so the painter will end up blending the paint on either side so you wont see where the new painted area is. As you see there is no easy way to do this. My advice to you, if you will be driving this car all lot dont do a candy paint. There is some red colors out there that have a very similar look to candy and are a tri-coat paint, I belive Ford has it on a late 90's Mustang and the newer Dodge trucks, will look allot like candy but are traditional paints.

Randy

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I was also going to mention Hot Hues by Dupont. Not quite candy, but they're are some good looking colors they have to offer. Go to a automotive paint store and ask to look at some color chips.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
becauseican;1708969 said:
Candy and stock paint are two totally different animals. I did all the body work on Tekdeus' widebody car. Candy paint is very expensive and almost twice the work. I would guess a full candy paint job would run in the $5000-10 000 range minimum. Being in the industry I also know that is is really really difficult to repair if a panel needs repainting, normally at the least you will have to re-paint the whole side to blend the color in.

Candy is basically a base coat color, (silver or similar), than the mid coat which is multiple coats of tinted clear coat then the top coat of clear. Now every coat of the mid coat makes the paint darker, as it is transperant, so a candy red with say 4 coats of the mid coat will be lighter than with 6 coats. So to repair say a door, you will be blending the new paint ontop of the old paint which will make the door darker than the rest of the car, as you will end up with 8-12 coats on the repaired area, so the painter will end up blending the paint on either side so you wont see where the new painted area is. As you see there is no easy way to do this. My advice to you, if you will be driving this car all lot dont do a candy paint. There is some red colors out there that have a very similar look to candy and are a tri-coat paint, I belive Ford has it on a late 90's Mustang and the newer Dodge trucks, will look allot like candy but are traditional paints.Randy
What is the difference between tri-coat paints and candy? To my knowledge I thought the process was very similar.

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Also go check the Barrett Jackson Colors by Planet color. They have some awesome colors and rather inexpensive. I got a price for a toyota color and was about 800 for paint, they yellow jacket i got from Planet color was half that. Sadly it only comes in quart cans and about 1/3 full the rest u fill with something else.

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
one of my frinds dads is a painter and he has painted candy before i talked to him today and he said that he would help me paint the car he has sprayed candy but he said its a hard type of paint to get just right depends on many variables to get exactlywhat shade you want and like one of you said if one part gets scratched or nicked have to repaint the entire part i may just stick with 3h1 since i do drive it alot would also hate to get alot of roack chips in the paint to. just trying to find something thats going to make the car look real good i think 3h1 will be bright enough for me

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Well since you've already considered dropping some major coin on a candy paint job why not do a color change with a color you'd really like. Any color. Door jambs and all.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Needboost;1709594 said:
cause i have a burgandy interior and idk if i want to go through the trouble of switching out the interior and stuff like that.lol

I see your point, but there are colors out there that will go good with burgandy interior. White, Silver, Black, lime green, charcoal grey... I can't think of any else. Maybe you can.

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
Grandavi;1709662 said:
Burgandy works well with a black exterior.. or any other color except blue or green really.. (and who paints a supra orange?) :)

yea i was looking at other colors but i know many dont like it, but the burgandy/maroon color has really grown on me

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dark red looks good on these cars imo. My favorite colors are Dark blue/black/Dark red/grey in that order... I am not a huge fan of white simply because I have had a couple white cars and didn't enjoy how they showed everything very plainly...