Can you reseal a new leaking oil pan?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Just rebuild the motor. The machinist assembled the motor and left it with break in oil in it. When I got it back I dropped the pan and shimmed the oil pump, sealed it back, dropped it in, and ran it.

Well the pan is leaking now, its not a cork gasket, but a rubber one. Can it be resealed and how?
Or should I break out the replacement gasket in the basement? Can it be shanged with motor in car?

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Yes, The oil pan gasket can be done with the motor in the car. You can either drop the subframe or you can unbolt the trans and motor mounts and lift the motor up enough to slide the pan in and out. I would use rubbing alcohol to clean off the oil pan, and seal it with FIPG.

Good luck!

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Moy;1368900 said:
Oil pan to block uses FIPG (black rtv will work, too)

Not a fan of black RTV.

Suzuki Bond 1207b, Toyota FIPG. <--Good Off the Dealer Shelf Stuff.

Permatex The Right Stuff Grey (Napa Has it in a 5oz Caulking Size), and Permatex Ultra Grey.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Zumtizzle;1369329 said:
Not a fan of black RTV.

Suzuki Bond 1207b, Toyota FIPG. <--Good Off the Dealer Shelf Stuff.

Permatex The Right Stuff Grey (Napa Has it in a 5oz Caulking Size), and Permatex Ultra Grey.

Just saying that it would work. Permatex is also good stuff

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
teedoff00;1369296 said:
Yes, The oil pan gasket can be done with the motor in the car. You can either drop the subframe or you can unbolt the trans and motor mounts and lift the motor up enough to slide the pan in and out. I would use rubbing alcohol to clean off the oil pan, and seal it with FIPG.

Good luck!

NO, you have to drop the subframe.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Don't feel bad. My machinist / engine builder also installed a oil pan gasket (cork) when I PACIFICALLY TOLD HIM NOT TO. When I pick it up I pointed it out to him and he (Jim H***) said he used FIPG on both sides of the cork then installled it. He swore it will not leak and has had the best luck this way. Im not sure if it will hold the test of time but so far it has not leaked, if it dose start to leak he will be getting a ear full ;)

And to answer your question drop the sub frame or remove the engine, again, to do it the CORRECT way!!

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
dumbo;1369667 said:
NO, you have to drop the subframe.
I've heard from several people that you can lift the motor up after unbolting the trans and mounts and it will clear, its just a PITA. I don't know, but dropping the subframe can't be much better. Ideally, I've heard that pulling the motor is the best route to go for the pan gasket.
-AM3

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Another MkIII;1370351 said:
I've heard from several people that you can lift the motor up after unbolting the trans and mounts and it will clear, its just a PITA. I don't know, but dropping the subframe can't be much better. Ideally, I've heard that pulling the motor is the best route to go for the pan gasket.
-AM3

No. I've personally done it. Had the engine into the firewall. Can't get the pan out. Wish I didn't have to drop the frame, but its only 6 bolts IIRC, don't have to go as far as the TSRM says, but farther than what the Haynes said.