can you remove the factory tint on the windows?

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Got to remove the ones on the windows that I purchased from a member to replace my clear ones that had scratches on them b/c it came off both window tracks.

thanks guys.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
If the tint is factory, then no. The tint is between the layers of glass so it will last the life of the car (or glass)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Side windows aren't layered like the windshield so it should just be on the inside (and I doubt it's factory). The only window that's tinted from the factory is the back hatch.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Poodles;1553381 said:
Side windows aren't layered like the windshield so it should just be on the inside (and I doubt it's factory). The only window that's tinted from the factory is the back hatch.

Hate to be a dink here, but no, side windows do come with factory tint. White and Red cars come with a factory bronze, as I recall, and I think the other colors got a standard grey.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/part.aspx?S=68101

I don't think it's removable.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I thought it had to do with interior color.

I have seen stock blue tint wiith blue interior and stock red/pink tint with maroon interior.

Edit: its more of a hint of blue or red to the window not actually blue tint.

Op why not just put some non dark tint on?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
There is no clear Supra glass! Take a piece of computer paper outside, and hold it behind your glass. I'm pretty sure it's green or bronze, but there may also be a blue. Side glass and backglass are tempered, so they will break into small pieces. There are no layers. Windshields have 2 layers, divided by a layer of lamination. Even the lower section of those is not clear.

You can NOT remove the tint from tempered glass!

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
That's odd. I never thought of a gray tint.

Maybe it's very light that I could hardly tell. My '89T hardtop looks the same since the interior like my 90T.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
As far as I'm aware, there is the bluish/gray tint, bronze tint, and gray tint for the factory glass, the tint is always in the glass and non-removable.

Which colour you have depends on the year and interior colour.

That being said, in North America only the Bluish/gray and Bronze tints were ever used. In Europe/Australia, etc. only bluish/gray was ever used. In Japan, all 3 were used.

Jeff

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Yes

the stock glass is actually tinted but not film, it is the glass itself.

All I know that with 5% and he factoy window "tint". I registered a whopping 2.8% light transmission.....Yeah, it as dark but worked in Miami. Up here in MN. No choice but to take tem off. waaaaayyy to dark even in downtown Minneapolis.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
The "Clear" window it actually has a green tint to it. If you look at it an angle you will see a green tint, and the dealership calls that "Clear". It is part of the glass, no way to remove it.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Factory tint, no you can't. Why would you want to "some how" remove it?
For the most part it is clear. IIRC the front windows from Toyota is 88% or 78% light transparency. Had them check long ago.

Now if they are tinted with film look at the post below on how to remove it after getting a $140 tint ticket :: angry :::: angry :::: angry ::

The 6th pic you can see the light tint to a oem window

92nsx;1542075 said:
How to remove tint.
p1554562_1.jpg

first start picking at it until a corner lets lose and start pulling.
p1554562_2.jpg

Once off throw it on the ground at walk on it. The window will still be sticky from the adhesive
p1554562_3.jpg

Hose down the window once tint is removed with windex to make the next step easier.
p1554562_4.jpg

Get out a NEW sharp razor blade and start scrapping the window to remove the adhesive. A 15-20 degree angle works good.
p1554562_5.jpg

Once done do it again to insure that all adhesive is removed, and clean window.
p1554562_6.jpg

This will help keep the cops happy. (The rear tint stays ;) )
p1554562_7.jpg

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
^^^^^^^ wtf i thought on here in cali were the only ones that get tint tickets..? it doesnt make sense all summer its above 100 but we cant have the windows tinted...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jeff Lange;1554314 said:
As far as I'm aware, there is the bluish/gray tint, bronze tint, and gray tint for the factory glass, the tint is always in the glass and non-removable.

Which colour you have depends on the year and interior colour.

That being said, in North America only the Bluish/gray and Bronze tints were ever used. In Europe/Australia, etc. only bluish/gray was ever used. In Japan, all 3 were used.

Jeff

My 86.5 is Green Jeff.
(AUS delivered so maybe it's a hot location thing?)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Yeah what I called the blue/grey is actually not listed as any colour by Toyota, and according to others it tends to have a green tint to it. There is only one type of glass listed for Australia/Europe, and that is the "uncoloured/green" one. I think it depends what angle you look at it.

Jeff