Can you guys help me out. i'm a total noob

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
My car had been sitting for a couple of months because i had to switch my rear spindle. Got the part changed it, car was good. engine was fine ran fine. the next day i decided to clean the engine so i got some engine degreaser and i sprayed everything minus the alternator and battery.

so fuck me in the ass the next time i turn it on which was about 20 min after i sprayed it, the car didn't start as usual it sounded different but it turned on and stayed on. now my engine was moving a bit too much, rocking too much for me. it started smoking but i didn't panic i figured it was just burning the degreaser but then i noticed oil was BOILING and bubbling up at the spark plugs on the engine. what the fuck did i do to my car!! can you guys help a brother out?!? :1zhelp:

Any help would be appreciated, if you think you know what went wrong, if you think i know what damage i may have caused, what i can do now..

I am ready for any verbal assaults!! and i won't take it personally :slap:

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
oh and i turned the car on today, the oil isn't there anymore and its not smoking but it still rocks a little and the car started the same weird way. and it sounds the same weird way. did i just fuck up my spark plugs?

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Haha, I got coil packs wet before.. It'll do that. Oil bubbleing.. Um probably a oil leak which is common.. Clean all the crap off and go from there. You got a dizzy being a ge. Take cap off and see if it's wet. Let it dry if it is. Pull plug wires and make sure it's not wet.. Basically dry things up

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
alright im gonna pull them bitches out in a bit. but hey so oil bubbling? any possibility it might be worse than an oil leak?

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Valve covers leak.. Crap like that. Get to that after you fix current problem. Remember always a qt over at full mark.

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
alright ill do the cables today the cover tomorrow. hope i don't have to spend any money!! thx u sir for the help :icon_bigg

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Yep your valve covers are leaking, I use paper towels, screw driver, rags. Then clean the wires good and might be a good time to change the plugs.

aus87nat

May 20, 2008
Wollongong
Put your hand near your dizzy with the car running. If you end up playing the hokie pokie, you'll need to change your plug leads ;)

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
alright so the engine degreaser had nothing to do with this? and all i gotta do is clean up all the oil under the plugs and that's it i don't have to replace anything? well besides the plugs. i mean they are literally in a pool of oil

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Yea happens more than you think.

LOL maybe the degreaser freed up gunk that was ghetto sealing the gaskets

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
Mk3runner;1319351 said:
Yea happens more than you think.

LOL maybe the degreaser freed up gunk that was ghetto sealing the gaskets

you know what that actually makes perfect sense. lol

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Go to Toyota, get a pair of valve cover gaskets and the sealing washers for the valve cover bolts. Shouldn't be more than 25-30 dollars (each valve cover gasket is about 11 bucks). Then go to Napa, get 4 of Napa part #704-1076.

Also read this thread, it could help you. It definitely helped me.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95661&highlight=valve+covers+leaking

Soak up the oil in the plug valley as best you can. Change the valve cover gaskets and the oil plug galley gaskets. You'll need a large allen headed socket (14mm I think) to fit into the oil galley plugs. (Make sure to read the above thread carefully, very important DO NOT TOUCH information in there).

It would be a good time to change out the spark plugs too. I used autolite platinums that I bought at Walmart for about 15 dollars. I do not know the part number for them, though. Gap them to .043" or 1.1mm.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Mk3runner;1319475 said:
Good post

Thanks. Haha. I just went through this a couple of weeks ago.

Oh yeah, I would also recommend replacing the Y-pipe gasket (where it mates to the upper intake plenum).

Here are the part numbers from Toyota that you will need for the valve cover gaskets and y pipe (I do not have the sealing washers as I did not think of them until after I did the work, haha).

Anyways, Part numbers:
Valve cover gaskets: 11213-42020
Y Pipe gasket: 17128-42020

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Mk3runner;1318891 said:
Valve covers leak.. Crap like that. Get to that after you fix current problem. Remember always a qt over at full mark.

a qt. over full? This isn't harmful in any way? Is this just to prevent rodknock?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
hornet7288;1320221 said:
a qt. over full? This isn't harmful in any way? Is this just to prevent rodknock?

Not for rodknock, it's because the 7M naturally consumes oil. Not a whole lot, but a little bit. It's because of the PCV system (on 7M-GE's, it is the metal piping that goes from the valve covers to the throttle body). The vacuum from the throttle body sucks out the air inside engine/valve covers, which ends up sucking out oil as well as air. That's one reason why if you ever take off your intake y-pipe and look inside that it's full of gunk/grease