Can you deck a timing cover with takin the block in?

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ok so i was just assembling my 7m. I just put the front timing cover and I can feel a lip wen I drag my finger accross the block/timing cover. :( I know the block was decked, I can see it, but I guess the timing cover wasn't!

I don't really wanna have to take all the stuff out again!

So I was wondering if it's possible to take just the timing cover in to get milled... I dnt know how much was taken off the block, so idk how much is needed to be taken off.

Please let me know wat you guy think!

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
How would you go about the most accurate measurement?

And the engine had like 10k on it (so I was told) and it hasn't leaked... But I deft don't wanna skimp out on this, I'm just sayin.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Wat if I use a set of feeler gauges to see at what measurement it feel flush??

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Bolt the case on then use a depth Mic, most people won't have one so in a pinch the Tail on a Vernier will do the job.

A low tech way would be place a straight edge or machined piece of metal on the timing case holding if flat then slip some feeler gauges under till it's a tight slip fit, add an extra 1 thouh to that and that's how much to remove, by being 1 thou low it removes any chance of the timing case holding the head off the deck at #1 and the Viton on the MHG whould compress enough to seal the Oil at the front.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ok I might do the second way, just cause it sounds better... Lol

But How would you use the vernier to measure it?

I just wanna make sure I'm gunna be measuring it correctly.

Last edited:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'd say triple check the measurements (even take pictures of them) and then bring it to the machinist. He should be able to chuck it up and get it cut god enough as long as your measuring is super accurate.

I know you know it, but nothing is as good as block and cover bolted together being machined. If I was putting my engine together and found that kind of issue, you had better believe I'd be tearing it all back out to make the engine 100% solid, but that's just me ;) In my mind its not wasted time/labor to build extra reliability into the engine.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ok I will check the measurements a couple more times... Lol I have another back plate to that I can use if it's messed up. But should I give an extra safe number to the measurement? Like .1 bigger or smaller than wat I read? I would think to take a little bit more than wat I measure off, just it wouldn't hold the head up at all.

It's just that I don't really have anything to take the block in, and the guy is Gunna take another 2 weeks for it prolly with the block. Lol

So hopefully this will work. I'm just surprised it didn't leak when it was running with it!

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Like I said before, I would give him the exact measurements you found and let him decide what he would like to do. Maybe bring the block in so he can do little cuts and check after each? (you could borrow a friends' truck, perhaps?

For me its one of those things where I would be willing to wait for it to be done 100% right.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ya I will try to get as accurate a measurement as possible...

Does that part really need to be perfect? Like obviously it would be better to have it perfect, but from what can see in my head now, that part it at like the last part. The cylinder wall isn't close to that, and I don't think there are any water hole close enough to it that it would leak if the timing cover was slightly LOWER than the block (barely a couple thou)...? I'm not saying it doesn't have to be, but I'm tryin to gather the info on what would work. Lol

And I did have a buddy with a truck, but it just broke down! Lol

Last edited:

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
this is funny because i just bought my short block last friday. full built, excellent machine work, but the PO never brought them the front cover. ill measure both ways and see where that gets me.

thanks ij, thats what i had in mind, glad someone can confirm a simple and "proper" way to do it

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Is it unusual that the timing cover was a little higher from one side to the other? I thought it is.

Intake side is about .020 in. high and the exhaust side goes down to about .012 in.

I'm taking my cover in now to get it milled... I'm just gunna say .020 across the board I guess, unless they can angle it to straighten it out...?

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I got the timing cover back. I told them .020" on one side and gradually go down to .012" on the other. Those were NY readings. And I just put it on, and it looks/feels great!

bustedknuckle

May 30, 2006
North Jersey
My plate also wasn't milled with the block by a Bogota NJ shop.
The repair machinist had to mill the aluminum plate 3 times in steps. His setup wasn't precise to .001",so the result was .001 lower than the block on 1 side and even on the other end.
It was originally assembled higher .005 on 1 side down to .003 on the other. When cold weather hit, 10 F, the expansion difference allowed coolant to spill out.The viton was dissolved and just wiped off.There are at least 5 warnings to mill both together on this forum.My bad, but resolved.

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

twenty and twelve are enormous.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ya I know it was quiet a lip... I'm just surprised it didn't blow/leak when it was running before! Lol and it had like 10k on it to... Lol

Oh well now it's perfect, the timing cover is barely, barely lower than the block...