Can this really change the world???

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
GrimJack;999020 said:
Old news, and that article is only the positive slants. There are lots of negatives as soon as you start looking.

Agreed! Do some research, Not saying its not a good idea but there are down sides also.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
This is the first I heard of it. Been working all day, too tired to do any more research. I've always been interested in things like this. I believe there is a way to create free energy for the masses and that whoever figures it out will be the next Bill Gates.

Needless to say, I have my own ideas on how to go about this. :p

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
I'm not so sure. I mean, there where people who used to think the world was flat and lightbulbs were impossible. If you tried to explin the internet to someone from 1808 they would have thought you were loony.

I think we're on the brink of a new revolution. Eventually, someone is going to figure it out. Maybe you, maybe me, who knows? I'm confident it will happen.

LordHomerCat

Mar 12, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Give me a break. There's no such thing as a free lunch, and there is no way to get something for nothing. Where is the energy coming from? There's some pretty important laws you have to break, in order to get more energy out a system than you get out. I would probably not believe this if it were literally sitting in front of me until every detail was explained and every piece examined for legitimacy.

Perpetual Motion machines are a myth, and every few months or years you hear about some new company or inventor who claims to have come up with the solution, but how many can you name that are real? None? That's what I thought.

I call 100% bs and would be willing to place a bet against anyone who thought differently.

I have not done any additional research into this supposed engine (why waste my time?), but according to the claims, you can get more than 5 times as much power out as you put in. That's insane, and anyone who's taken a physics class should immediately realize how ridiculous that claim is.

PS The US Patent Office officially refuses to offer patents on so-called Perpetual Motion machines, of which this qualifies (since it is at least 100% efficient, and so should run forever once it is started). There's a pretty good reason for that: they're not possible.

-Jimmy

Edit: Here's another recent link from a company claiming to have invented a perpetual motion machine. Strangely, I haven't seen anything on the news about them. I wonder why? It couldn't be that it's just a big hoax...

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
LordHomerCat;999205 said:
There's a pretty good reason for that: they're not possible.

Yep, can't have 100% efficiency! Technically, literally, physically, everythinglly impossible. Now in a total vacuum gravity free environment, maybe. Too bad those don't exist either.

The two guys who came up with it say it all: An electrician, and a businessman. Sounds like the perfect two professions to come up with something to LOOK impressive.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
It was only a couple hundred years ago that everything you take for granted today was considered impossible. Fax, printers, computers, cars, airplanes, telephone, space travel, dishwashers, air conditioning, cell phones, music playback, video...the list goes on and on. The reason all these things were once thought impossible is because no one had invented them and we (the human race) did not have the understanding to create them.

Our understanding of the world around us has only just begun. Laws (at least some) were made to be broken. If breaking the laws of physics is what needs to be done in order to create free energy, then that's what we have to figure out. If no one tries, we get nowhere, we gain nothing, we learn nothing.

I've always been of the mindset that nothing is impossible.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Electronics, vehicles, appliances are all built on physical elements with physical properties.

The physical properties required for perpetual motion are zero resistance and perfect mechanical efficiency. Lets say that they somehow do get the mechanics to be 100% efficient.. no waste. Then, lets look at what would be required for the resistance. Perfect vacuum, and zero gravity. Near perfect vacuum can be achieved.. though difficult, it is possible. But how do you plan on stopping gravity's forces? Can't take it out into space, theres gravity there too. You'd have to create an anti gravity field to perfectly cancel out the specific gravity for the area surrounding the device. I suppose, if you were to do that, perpetual motion would be possible.

I haven't seen any antigravity drives around lately though.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Again, meh...

There's plenty of energy to be had, if we can figure out how to unlock it. I rather doubt perpetual motion is the way it will be done, but crazy things have been done in the past. Mr. DuPont was trying to turn lead into gold, and the junk from a failed experiment clogged the drain on his sink. Said gunk turned out to be plastic, and formed the basis of a worldwide empire that has lasted generations.

Still, I suspect that energy will be solved in rather mundane ways - better solar cells, collectors on space elevator docks, smaller and smaller nuclear reactors, something like this. Hell, someone will invent a widget that transforms heat directly into electricity, and we can stop worrying about 'global warming'.

LordHomerCat

Mar 12, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
GrimJack;999287 said:
Again, meh...

There's plenty of energy to be had, if we can figure out how to unlock it. I rather doubt perpetual motion is the way it will be done, but crazy things have been done in the past. Mr. DuPont was trying to turn lead into gold, and the junk from a failed experiment clogged the drain on his sink. Said gunk turned out to be plastic, and formed the basis of a worldwide empire that has lasted generations.

Still, I suspect that energy will be solved in rather mundane ways - better solar cells, collectors on space elevator docks, smaller and smaller nuclear reactors, something like this. Hell, someone will invent a widget that transforms heat directly into electricity, and we can stop worrying about 'global warming'.

Technically, I can turn heat into electricity right now. I call it Steam Power.

I realize that a couple hundred years ago, we didn't have any idea of computers and electronics and such. That's because our understanding at the time was pretty much crap. The things we thought were true were mostly because we were idiots and didn't understand anything about how the world works. I will freely admit that there is a lot of stuff we don't understand, but laws like the laws of thermodynamics and the laws of conservation of mass/energy are not just random crap like we had hundreds of years ago, they are laws that have withstood a culture of experimentation and testing (often with the goal of trying to break those laws and failing).

If perpetual motion is possible, it basically destroys the entire foundation of physics and modern science. So much of our understanding of the world comes from these basic laws, so if someone finds out how to break them it will pretty much mean we have to start over from scratch. However, no one has, and there's probably a reason for that (they are good laws).

Now, I will say this. I have no greater hope than for this to be real. I would be more excited than I have ever (or probably will ever) been if this is somehow real and verified. Sure, I'll be wrong, but I would welcome that if it meant free energy: basically, you're saying that magic is real and we are in the land of rainbows and unicorns (I'm an engineer remember: this kind of stuff is my unicorn). If you're familiar with the idea of supernatural powers and particularly skeptics like James Randi and Penn & Teller, you know their stance on that matter. I take a similar view: to paraphrase, basically, I would like nothing more than to see this stuff be real, because it would be probably the most amazing discovery in human history. If this man's engine is real, he will have a bigger effect on science and humanity than Newton, Einstein, Hawking, or any other human being to ever live. However, it's a hoax, because they (perp. motion machines) are all hoaxes, and we will have to go on living in the real world.

This whole thing is just a waste of the time and energy of people who could be doing something to better the world, but instead are spending it trying to trick people (or trick themselves) into believing some fantasy.

I don't know that energy can really be "solved"; we are constantly finding better ways to harness energy, but it's never free, and in the long run (the really long run I guess, like when the sun dies) we will run out. It would be nice to think that we're good until the sun burns out, but we are a long way from that and I don't see the world losing its reliance on non-renewable resources in my lifetime (and im only 23).

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Just so you all know - that 'news' is an Australian TV show which everyone here makes fun of for their utterly crap, often one-sided, frequently fabricated journalism.

Also, such a machine breaks pretty much every energy-related law that there is!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Yes, they laughed a Socrates, yes they laughed at Einstein, but they also laughed at Pauly Shore...

Just because people laugh at you isn't proof positive for being a genius or correct...

This is not and never will be a viable form of energy. It's crackpot snake oil...

Tanstaafl.