Can I use a 4 wire oxygen sensor

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
As the title says, can I use a 4 wire oxygen sensor instead of the stock 3 wire?

The difference, as I understand it, is that the fourth wire is a dedicated signal ground. On the three wire, the exhaust system is the ground, right?

So can I use a four wire sensor and ground the signal ground somewhere else?

Also, I note that some people have used a screw-in oxygen sensor... does the stock sensor unscrew from the bung? I couldn't get it to :)

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Yes you can and would actually be better then the stock 3wire. Hit up a local auto parts store and try to pick up a universal Bosch 4 wire and wire it in. When you run the ground wire from the 4wire unit, you are better off running it up into the loom and over to the side of the intake manifold where the rest of the ECU grounds are located. This way there is no Ground Offset and there for more accurate. Also to not, the heater wires do not make a differance as to which way they are hooked up. They are not polarity dependent.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
the stock sensor is made into a diamond flange that bolts to the exhaust. Most aftermarket replacement units use a screw-in and come with a flange adapter. if yours already has then you are good to go, but if not then you would need to get one or make one. Another option is to make a block plate and then weld a thread fitting in a different location.