Can I remove my 7m block like this?

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
Hows it going everyone,

I'm in the process of a BHG replacement, along with a mild head/block rebuild.

I have already removed the head and pretty much everything else connected to the block bar the gearbox, What i want to do is,
Attach the block to a block and tackle via the standard head bolts (will be replaced with studs anyway),
support the bellhousing with a rope or something,
then unbolt the block from the bellhousing and engine mounts,
slide the engine off the input shaft, then up and out of the engine bay.

Would this work? Or is there a reason most people remove the engine and gearbox as one unit?

Cheers guys,
Ashlin.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
it's actually easier to remove the transmission with the engine than to unbolt the bellhousing and remove it alone.

of course this is all "IMO" and i'm sure some people see it the other way around...

the only way to find out is to do it. figure out your own way, i'm sure you'll be doing it at least a couple more times, anyway. so it's all up to you

welcome to the board, Ashlin, you seem to have a pretty good knowledge of the car so far. keep it up

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
If you read the Toyota Service Manual, you would notice that the 2 engine mounts left and right are #1 &#2, the transmission mount is #3 engine mount, thus removing engine from gearbox would leave no support for the front of the tranny, also there might not be enough room to simply move the engine fwd to get it off the input shaft of a gearbox. If you have an engine hoist/lift, it only takes 2-3 hours to remove engine and tranny, way easier.
I have had my engine and tranny out twice, even though mine is an auto. The service manual still says to pull them both together.
William 89T

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Reminds me of my first project car, 1973 Beatle, I could remove the engine service it and put it back in under 45 minutes. I once replaced a noisy input shaft bearing in thirty minutes exactly. If you have ever done or seen it done the method of removing the engine from a bug involves jacking the rear up and the engine is lowered to the ground. I have removed the engine from a supra separately from the transmission. You do have to support the transmission and it becomes much more of a hassle. Remove the hood and radiator and remove the Engine and transmission as a unit it is easier

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
mmmk, so it looks like i won't be able to avoid taking out the gearbox, which I guess is a good thing. As I've wanted to look into getting the thrust washer replaced anyway, so will i still be able to follow most of the "how to" here
- http://www.whistlehog.com/data/engine.html
but hoist using the old head bolts instead of the standard lifting points?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
kemicalx said:
mmmk, so it looks like i won't be able to avoid taking out the gearbox, which I guess is a good thing. As I've wanted to look into getting the thrust washer replaced anyway, so will i still be able to follow most of the "how to" here
- http://www.whistlehog.com/data/engine.html
but hoist using the old head bolts instead of the standard lifting points?

I would do it, but I've been known to do so things that would be considered eff'n insane by some here. :biglaugh: Honestly, It should be fine as long as you don't attempt to reuse the bolts.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Yeah you could do that....lift the block out separately...Done a few like that on my own.Taken me a couple of hours to do that on my own.

I supported the tranny with a jack below. I have seen people hold the tranny up with wires like the way u want to do it.

You could get a couple of your strong friends to actually lift the block out.
Done that too...

Cheers,
Roy

ggeiss240sx

Nov 8, 2005
Laramie, WY
www.cardomain.com
I just got done removing the motor without the tranny attached and now that its done I wish I took the tranny out with it. Getting the splines out of the torque converter was b*tch and getting the motor back in was 10x harder. But if you were going to do it this way. Use a jack to support the front of the tranny, make sure the fan is off the front, hook up the hoist and get the engine weightless, then pull on the bastard like you would if you were trying to keep your soul from falling to hell... Took three guys including myself to guide the engine back in straight.

In other words, just take the time to unbolt the tranny from the car, it will save you much more time in the long run...

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have lifted what's left of my parts car motors with the head bolts like that. Won't hurt a thing. Mine always come out with the gearbox. Just make sure you screw them in a good bit, and put a washer around it, cause it takes a pretty big chain to get that head bot through. It has a small head, and will try to work it's way out.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
ForcedTorque said:
I have lifted what's left of my parts car motors with the head bolts like that. Won't hurt a thing. Mine always come out with the gearbox. Just make sure you screw them in a good bit, and put a washer around it, cause it takes a pretty big chain to get that head bot through. It has a small head, and will try to work it's way out.

Agreed. Two old head bolts with a stack of washers under the head of each. I say stack because I couldn't find one washer that was big enough yet had a small enough hole.

http://www.jobe.cc/92turbo/first_rebuild/engine-hoist.jpg
http://www.jobe.cc/92turbo/first_rebuild/engine-hoist2.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'd bolt a head back on and if you don't want to pull the motor and tans as a unit put a floor jack under the trans unbolt it from the Engine then start the shuffle wiggle hoist fest until it comes loose.

I've done it mutiple times both ways and as a unit it's so much easier.