Can I make a swap to a 7mge to make it 7mgte

peter551984

Aug 16, 2008
Puerto Rico
I have a supra 7mgte wich has suffer some damage on the outside of the car and i'm planning on buying a supra 7mge which is cheapper... What will be the the plan or stragedy to make a swap to the 7mge what will I be buying?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
oooohhhh i think hes got a turbo mk3 and just got a n/a mk3 and he wants to swap his turbo motor into the n/a chassis.

if this is what you wanna do, then find out the years of both cars, and are they 5 spd or auto?

if you havent got the 2nd car yet, try to find one with the same tranny config, and the same year as well. it'll make things the easiest.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
89 and below has square mounts(crossmember is different) the wiring harness is also different. you can make it work, but you would have to use the brackets and mounts from your old seetup or new setup, depending on what you already have

peter551984

Aug 16, 2008
Puerto Rico
the thing is that my mecanic told me and almost put in my mind the idea to buy a mk3 N/A because the reppair for th MK3 turbo that i have will be to expensive... so i'm almost convince that it will be better to buy it and make the swap... Also he told me that it will be better to work with the motor from the outside meaning to have the entire motor and tranny without and restriction this is for making upgrades on the engine? We are planning on making times of 11.03 to 10.9 sec 1/4 mile... on that car.... Also putting eagle connecting rods hks pistons if they are available dual valve springs cams another turbo 3" exaust, lowering it with inrax springs, lexus AFM, dual walbro pumps, greddy head gasket, titanium retainers, boost controles, lighter seats, fenders and hood, lighter rims (maybe 2jz rims or enkie) bigger intercooler, hks wastegate and blow off valve and don't know what else if you have any suggestions please try to answer I'll be more than glad to hear experts and persons that have great cars and great experiencie please take care

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
If the cars are the same year, it's as simple as taking the turbo engine/electronics from the turbo car and putting it into the non-turbo car.

I literally just did one in a day.

*edit*
You will also want to switch out rear subframes or atleast just the differentials themselves so you have the Limited Slip and not the open diff.

Last edited:

peter551984

Aug 16, 2008
Puerto Rico
I'm planning not only to take all the parts that I have on the turbo but also take out th wiring, the differential and if it is necesary the suspension... i think that the car that i'm planning is not the same year so maybe just maybe the car will be some challenge to put together but I think that it will be more effective to have it that way so I can manage the other motor and make some upgades... do you know if there are HKS Pistons for my 7mgte and wich are better HKS, Wiseco, JE or Ross

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
HKS does not have any pistons for the 7M (they might have a long time ago, but no longer if they did).

Ross, Arias, Wiseco, CP, JE, Probe, NPR. Those are the only manufacturers of pistons for these engines that I know of...

mkiisupraman18: not all n/a mk3's came with an open diff. if it came with the sport package, it has a 4.30 LSD

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
4.30 is a rear gearing ratio. The higher the number the slower your car's top end will be but the faster you'll accellerate and the worse your mileage will be. There are both 4.30 LSD and open diffs IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong please).

As far as sport packages go, some sport packages include the targa top while others are hard tops. Some include LSD's while other don't. It all depends on your specific vehicle since the sport packages were pieced together by the dealerships.

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
Should be possible.

Make sure the trannies are the same or you could come into problems. The turbo will probably have the R154 tranny (most robust) and the NA will (probably) have the W58.

If theyre both auto then that shouldnt be a problem? (I know nothing about the auto tranny, got rid of that as soon as I could!)

Also, your turbo car will have a limited-slip diff. N/A will probably not. You won't want to lose that. Don't know how hard that swap is (the diff).

So it may be worth it, but to avoid wasting things you may end up having to transplant the diff, the tranny and the motor/turbo. Lotta work.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Swapping a diff is easy, you just need a floor jack and some basic hand tools that all Supra owners have. The A340E auto tranny is fine under 400 RWHP. If you're swapping the tranny from 1 5-speed to another the only problem you'll have will be the bellhousing. The bellhousing is what makes the tranny bolt to the motor. For example to swap in a 1JZ into a car that already has a R154 you'll only need to get a different bellhousing as far as the tranny goes. There are only 2 bellhousings for the 7M, 1 for the W58 and 1 for the R154.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
And when swapping the rear diff, *I* personally think it's easiest to drop the subframe. car on jackstands and a floor jack is all you need... and a few friends to help guide it back into place.

I also pull the engine/trans together and I pull the harness through the firewall. :icon_bigg

Last edited:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
took me an hour to do mine today, theres 4 bolt on the rear of the diff, 2 under, 4 holding it to the driveshaft, and 6 on either side for the axels, then it drops down.