Can I get the foot/defrost option to work in my 87?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I was wondering what it is that allows the function of the foot/defrost selection on the climate controls on the 89+ vehicles. They swap in to the pre-89's as most know but since it wasn't offered on the pre-89 climate control units it doesn't work.

I was wondering if using an 89+ dash/body harness would allow it to work. If so, I want to know what other differences there are that would cause problems for me using an 89+ harness in my 87.

I am going to be doing a 1jz pretty soon and will be working on this after the 1jz swap if this matters or complicates things further.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
hvyman;1340287 said:
the climate controls are the same except for the visual differences.

No they're not.

The foot/defrost will not function with an 89+ control in a pre-89 car.

I am not aware of any easy way to make it work right now, though I haven't checked the wiring diagrams very thoroughly.

Jeff

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
hvyman;1340287 said:
the climate controls are the same except for the visual differences.

while it plugs in, 89+ CC's have the extra function..

I found this out when I put an 89 CC in my girl's 86.5 and saw it didn't function, and the option didn't exist in the pre 89 CC..

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
If anyone has tried this or is able to figure out how. I'm not too good with electrical but can understand it wit a little explanation.

Knowing what needs to be done I can get it done, but truthfully I can't figure it out on my own. I asked in this section so if someone were to help me figure it out it would beneift other mk3 owners with this setup.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
You are missing something, and you're looking at the wrong diagram, and the biggest difference is the wiring, not the mechanical parts, although the air mode damper is also a different part number between pre-89 and 89+ as well.

Jeff

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Any further insight, I wouldn't think it would be as simple as bridging the foot and defrost to the foot/defrost button, and don't think so. But I do want to know if there is a way,

So far, changing that one part isn't so bad, the wiring may not be either, but don't know where to begin.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I already know I can't figure this out, which is why I asked. If anyone wants to get in on this I'm making a last attempt to bump this.

If not I'll try to find out on my own and update this thread when the time comes.