Camshaft Thrust Clearance Issues

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
So I am wondering If this will be a problem down the road. My camshafts seem to have worn down some aluminum on the Inside of my head. Is it safe to continue using this head/camshafts/bearing caps? I know it's not ideal but has anyone ever had issues or not had issues involving this? It is only on the Exhaust side on the last two and Intake on last one. Thanks for any help.

dsc03462to.jpg

dsc03470ts.jpg

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
I'm not sure if I do. It was my understanding that thrust means the amount the camshaft can move front and back along Its axis. I'm definitely a noob. But I'm learning as much as I can.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
stolensupra;1585220 said:
I'm not sure if I do. It was my understanding that thrust means the amount the camshaft can move front and back along Its axis. I'm definitely a noob. But I'm learning as much as I can.

Correct :)
you get an elephant stamp for being right!

Elephant.jpg

Now to get a gold star you need to post some pics of the actual thrust surfaces on the head and backs of the cam pullies.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
From memory there's a Lip on the cams that sets the thrust in the head and stops the cams moving forward/backward, there should also be a spec in the TRSM for this (don't have an M head here to check as the last one I had went to scrap a few weeks back)

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
I have my camshafts right here. However don't have a micrometer but can access one on monday. By looking at the pictures though Is that wear on the back of the bearing surfaces normal. Or why It would only happen at the back of the head?

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
Ok the camera has to charge for like 3 minutes before i can use it. However does the wear on the backs of the bearing surfaces carry any weight in proper head operations?

Last edited:

Bruno Molly

Apr 29, 2009
NC
...I could have helped you with this..and I've been trying to get you to contact me for month's for The upper end engine parts you said you would sell to me with no success. Whats the deal? If you need the parts to fix your car I understand just let me know and I won't bother you anymore. My son and I have put off searching other places pending the condition of your parts...Let me know Yay Or Nay and we'll carry on.
Darren