Cams ok, vacuum help needed

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Just finished stripping everything off the head to send it to the machine shop, i removed the cams per the specifications in the TSRM, but it appears to me that they are curved. :yikes: My questions is what did i screw up if anything. also will i be able to put them back in and have the cams go back to being straight. If not with a stock motor aside from the 6 thousandths coming off the head does anyone recommend a better set of cams or should i look for a set of stock ones?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
7mgte, can't get pics tonight they're at the shop, i'm fairly sure they're bent bad, after loosening and removing the caps the front of the cams were still seated while the backs were almost a quater inch out of they're seats, and when i look down them while turning they look like a worn out pool cue.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Chaingun;1672825 said:
i removed the cams per the specifications in the TSRM, but it appears to me that they are curved.

Poodles^

Poodles is right, checking the runoff will let you know but I had 7M cams and they looked bent, check them and they were in spec. Pulled them off after the break in to replace with bigger cams and they were fine. Bores were good on the head as well, no scratches either.

Like Poodles said, check the run out and second, if you need a set, let me know.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
will do, i'm dropping the head off tomorrow so i'll have my guys at the machine shop check, turns out one of them is an old school buddy

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Supposed to loosen a bunch of times going through the order then remove.

Sometimes they pop out like that. Its not a heavy crank. I wouldnt turn it like that either.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Biggest concern with the loosening is to avoid breaking the cam itself. Old, worn valve springs have saved more then one cam over the years I'm sure.

If the cam looks warped there is no way I'd re use it unless the run out is measured. Even at the max run out, they look straight. I went through three sets to find an exhuast cam in good shape. Intakes never seem to be an issue.

TomFraser

One of my cars had a headgasket done before I had gotten it, instead of checking the head for warpage the machine shop had simply decked it so it had a flat surface but was warped, which warped the cams. I ended up replacing the entire head.

What do the cam journals look like? Are the cams eating them up? Just asking because mine were.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Wait, you loosened all the cam caps and when you got them all off the back of the cams were out the journal? I would think this would happen every time because some of the lobes would be trying to push down on the valves causing the cams to lift on one side. Are all the valves out of the head?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
89nasupra;1673098 said:
Wait, you loosened all the cam caps and when you got them all off the back of the cams were out the journal? I would think this would happen every time because some of the lobes would be trying to push down on the valves causing the cams to lift on one side. Are all the valves out of the head?

Exactly, there is no way they could have been that bent and not done TERRIBLE damage to the head.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
after going to the garage today i looked at the cams again much closer, being "bent" may have been more of an optical illusion to me than anything, i'm having them checked at the machine shop so i'll know on monday. The caps and cams don't look worn, nor does the head or caps, i hope to get good word from the machine shop. I think what threw me off is that this is a 24v engine, not used to that

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
turns out the cams are fine, got them and the head back today from the shop, finished cleaning the surfaces and not the head is on and torqued to 75ftlbs, gonna check it again tomorrow too. The exhaust is back on and ready to roll, and the intake is a step short of being reattatched as well. I had the lower intake on and was tightening it down when i somehow snapped a bolt off on the lower side, not sure how honestly as it was the 2nd pass on the bolts and it was being tightened to 13ftlbs as the manual specifies and the little sucker snapped off before the wrench clicked again, anyways, the lower intake is back off and i get to play with my easy out set tomorrow. Anyone know what grade of bolt i should look for in a replacement?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
This broke before it clicked once, i had tightened them with a wrench until they were finger tight then i was going back to torque them as specified fortunately it was the first bolt i was doing on the intake side so the gasket isn't ruined, in any case i should be able to remove it and replace it with one from the parts bin at the hardware store. just wish i know which size those are before i go up there so i dont' have to make 3 trips