Camaro SS 2001

chopstickz

Dec 3, 2005
SoCal
Okay, my friend bought a Camaro SS and I was wondering if you guys know how much power the automatic transmission handle and the engine also. He plans on going with a procharger and he has a highstall already. He plans on going with a procharger to make 600whp. If anyone knows what support mods would he need?

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
No way that auto tranny could hold 600 maybe if it was the 6 speed. if the auto was built with corvette internals then yeah it would hold.

But your going to want to look in to bolt ons like longtubes and good suspension.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The 4l60e in there is a very solid transmission. But like any automatic, it NEEDS A COOLER.

Put a good external cooler on it, a hydraulic filter, and reprogram the shiftpoints to stiffen everything up, and you'll have a tranny that will hold 600hp without a problem.

Weak point of the FBodies (3rd and 4th gen)?

7.5" 10 bolt. He *WILL* destroy it once he gets traction. The pinion crush collar squishes under hard launches, and it will get to the point that the pinion gear will 'walk' up the ring gear on an especially hard launch, and split the case. You can weld the tubes, put a Ratech solid pinion spacer in there, and use Summit's rear stud girdle, but you're still playing on borrowed time with the LS1's torque, and the Fbody's 3-link suspension.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
*sigh*^^wtf does suspension have to do with what the motor/tranny will hold?

All I saw was supporting mod skipped over the will hold part, Either way its a supporting mod for traction. But I guess Doward is right I havent really seen em with a oil coolers but from what I've seen localy those tranny dont take to much in High HP numbers.

90SupraMike

Aug 1, 2006
Van Nuys, CA
id worry about the diff in those. alot of my friends have Camaros & Firebirds and stuff and when they start goin over like 400hp the diffs like to give out. especially if they run drag radials.

chopstickz

Dec 3, 2005
SoCal
wow... seems like theres a lot to do. Hes getting a his suspension next week. His gears and his high stall goes in this week. So the tranny can hold 600whp? I'm pretty sure he will do a cooler since it only cost around $30. Thanks guys. I will tell him about the rearend.