cam shafts and valves

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
hey guys im wondering if anyone can help me out or give me like some information,

yesterday from one moment to another the car started vibrating alot and i can feel the cam shaft hitting the valves, it was working smooth for 2 weeks from rebuild until now

after the vibration RPM's go below 1k when i stop the car in neutral and it turn off

the weather have been really cold, but i used royal purple oil 10w 30 and i've checked the oil already and is good, do any1 think that maybe the oil pump isn't working?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y0Lc3nT774

Last edited:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Need some more info. Have you checked your timing, all of it?

Don't understand what you mean about the cams hitting the valves????

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
AJ'S 88NA;1462447 said:
Need some more info. Have you checked your timing, all of it?

Don't understand what you mean about the cams hitting the valves????

yeah timing is good or the car wont even turn on, like i said it was running fine until last night

what i mean is that you can feel a lot the vibration of the car, you know that cam shafts hit valves right? well the car shakes a lot because of that

it has royal purple oil 10w 30
timing is ok
valve clearance is ok
oil is level is good too

the engine is a 7mge

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
remkye08;1462455 said:
you know that cam shafts hit valves right?

Actually, they don't... and some excess clearance between a lobe and shim won't cause the whole car to vibrate nor would such a thing happen overnight.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I couldn't find a better animation...
index.php

As the cam turns the valve remains separated byt a thin film of oil. The motion is fluid and there is no harsh interaction between the two. The essentially glides along the surface of the shim. The only even where you'd have the cam hitting or smacking something would be in a situation where the clearance has become far too large (such as a shim becoming dislodges and getting thrown out of the bucket... see: plenty of noise). It may appear that the cam "hits" the shim, but that isn't the case.

Do you have any noises accompanying the vibration?

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
CRE;1462608 said:
I couldn't find a better animation...
index.php

As the cam turns the valve remains separated byt a thin film of oil. The motion is fluid and there is no harsh interaction between the two. The essentially glides along the surface of the shim. The only even where you'd have the cam hitting or smacking something would be in a situation where the clearance has become far too large (such as a shim becoming dislodges and getting thrown out of the bucket... see: plenty of noise). It may appear that the cam "hits" the shim, but that isn't the case.

yeah it sound like a muscle car when i accelerate, i been checking the car and probably is a spark plug not working or the spark wire of cylinder 2 and 3, when i disconect those 2 wires the car rpm's does not change like the car do when i disconect cylinder 1-4-5 and 6.

it sound like one cylinder isnt exploting properly

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
So what you actually have is a misfire? Is there oil in the head where the spark plugs are? How old are your plug wires, plugs, and cap? Are you sure you don't have any wires crossed?

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
cuel;1464826 said:
So what you actually have is a misfire? Is there oil in the head where the spark plugs are? How old are your plug wires, plugs, and cap? Are you sure you don't have any wires crossed?

no oil on the spark plug
plug wires are 2 weeks old
same for spark plugs 2 weeks old

no wires crossed

when i disconect wire 2 and 3 the engine rpm's dont change :/

Have you pulled the valve cover off and checked to see if maybe you spit a shim out like CRE was getting at?

ill check that today and ill let u guys know

theres is no noise, just the vibration like when u get inside a muscle car, and also when i put the car in 1st gear if i take the clutch like i used to, the car do like hips like it wants to go but it doesnt have enough power, and also when i put the car in 5th gear it sounds like the engine doesnt have power either, it sound like when you go really slow like below 10 mph and you put the car in 3rd gear

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
If the RPM's don't change then you have a problem with those cylinders not firing for some reason, plugs, wires, injectors, valves.