Cam Caps

2turboZ

May 4, 2007
Buffalo NY
I finally got my other engine that had low compression torn apart. Found that the head was the cause. No problem, I have an entire motor that has been machined and "built" so I can just bolt the head on there. Somehow in all of my shuffling around and moving I seem to have lost the cam caps for the head. I understand they are line bored in the factory. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know the odds of an easy solution are slim but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

So far my only option is to swap everything into the bad head and have it remachined...provided it can even be done.

:1zhelp:

2turboZ

May 4, 2007
Buffalo NY
Already went there...the guy said they would work but without machining them to match i risk breaking the cam. Some local guys have turned me on to a good machine shop that they said can do it. I am going to look into that.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I don't see how you could break a cam if your clearances are good and you torque it down correctly. Sorry, sounds like BS to me

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Take the cams, head, and caps to the machine shop, and get it assembled there. Tell them exactly what's going on, and they can fix it. I have seen cams snapped because the caps where in the wrong place, installed backwards, or not torqued correctly.

Better safe than sorry....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have seen two broken cams. One courtesy of Dean Marcum on his old webpage, the other an Audi A8 with the 4.2. It actually snapped in two.

There is a head on ebay right now for $50.00. At that low of a price, I wouldn't feel bad if he is lying. Well I would, but it isn't like your out hundreds of dollars.