Calling all "old-school" MKIII enthusiasts

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I am pretty new to supras but I could not be happier with my mkiii. I was just wondering what you old-school guys hate to see done to these cars. as far as body, mechanical, styling, interior etc.

I have been reading countless pages of information and have seen allot of things that I like but there is some, I just find myself asking "why would you do that?"

I mostly want to hear from the guys that have been in to these cars since the 80's but all opinions are welcome.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
PrinceChip said:
I am pretty new to supras but I could not be happier with my mkiii. I was just wondering what you old-school guys hate to see done to these cars. as far as body, mechanical, styling, interior etc.

I have been reading countless pages of information and have seen allot of things that I like but there is some, I just find myself asking "why would you do that?"

I mostly want to hear from the guys that have been in to these cars since the 80's but all opinions are welcome.
Rice is not nice.
I don't like too much more than maybe a nice set of wheels, gauges, cleaned up under the hood, some of the engines I've seen on here are very nice.

sluggo42

Aug 9, 2007
Socal
get a giant wing and a 6" fart can, and paint your calipers orange. Get a 15" sub and it's all good.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I don't add anything to my car that provides no type of function. Unless its adding horsepower, traction, aerodynamics, chassis rigidity, cooling, or some other type of useful function, it is not found on my car. Also i wouldn't put after market gages in my car unless i could make them look factory, witch is my goal.

My goal is to have all the necessary after market goodies to make my car quick/fast/nimble, and be reliable all while looking as though everything is stock. Im not much into bling. Anyone can throw chrome on a car and enter it into a show, or get looks. To take that same thing and make it look stock is what i like.

Sleeper FTW.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
As someone who bought it new in 87 and has been driving it pretty much every day since I'd have to agree with what Grim and AJ said. If I didn't like the car the way Toyota made it I wouldn't have bought one. On the other hand Johnathan makes a valid point too. The real bottom line is it's just a car.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Everyone has their style.
Personally, I'm a "wheels, suspension, clean paint and maybe a front lip" kind of guy.

HOWEVER, There are PLENTY of A70's out there with full body kits or "bigger" wings and other unique accessories of the like, that actually work and fit well.
And I can respect that...But it doesn't mean that's what I prefer.

But in the end, it does boil down to what you want.
Some people here have these cars out of passion, some because they're 16 years old and [oMFg itz teh Supra!!11], and some because they like the style & performance.

Take your pick, and make it tasteful. :)

-Jeff

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
johnathan1 said:
What difference does it make what people on here think? In the end...it's your car...not their's...

Thank you for stating the obvious.

I just thought that some old-school guys might look at a mod and think that it took away from the overall style of the original, stock mkiii.(instead of adding to it)

obviously what is said in this thread is not going to change my thoughts of what looks good or adds to the styling of my supra. I was just wondering what you guys thought.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I like to see mostly stock exerior. Definetly the stock wing. The farthest i'd go with the exterior is bomex rear, sides, and just a lip up front and some wheels. Being a bit lower helps a lot too.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
jetjock said:
As someone who bought it new in 87 and has been driving it pretty much every day since I'd have to agree with what Grim and AJ said. If I didn't like the car the way Toyota made it I wouldn't have bought one. On the other hand Johnathan makes a valid point too. The real bottom line is it's just a car.

:word8kn:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
there are few cosmetic bits that i'd change. one being the height of the headlights, the other being the height of the suspension.

other than that? the chassis is mint how it is. :)

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
For me, I put function over form. Stock body, lowered the RIGHT way, wheels, and maybe a front lip. Interior is good as is, unless you need more monitoring. Things can be moved around and cleaned up, of course.

But as it's been said MANY times already, do what pleases you the most and everyone else can STFU and GTFO.