Call from machine shop...shit...

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Tells me its warped by 8 thousands, and he'd have to take off another 15 thousands because of the firing groove? which means a total of 23 thousands.. and basically he told me he thinks the aluminum softenend, and i was like shit i was really hoping it didnt anneal.

and i pretty much fucked? whats the absolute max you can take off the 7mge head? i jus want to get the damn thing back together, and unless i can find a good head for like 150 bucks im going to scrap the whole damn car.

i figure if i machine it to the max, cover the gasket in copper spray and put it all back together it should at least seal for awhile

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
oh good idea, i forgot to ask if they checked the cam tunnels as well

edit: i guess they dont have a hardness tester, but he "says" hes been doin it 25 years and he can tell its gone soft, apparently the metal o rings on the head gasket had dug into the head, hes goin to check the cam tunnels tomorrow to see if they're straight or not

whats the max you can safely machine the head down to though?

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
fuckedupheadgasketjw5.jpg

headhalfsandedro7.jpg

headmanifoldfuelrailbf1.jpg

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
you can get a good head for like $100-200, would it NEED to be machined? are you planning to run a MHG?

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
nope im just running a composite gasket to get it running, its n/a and i just want to fix it so i can sell it and buy myself an old chevy truck.

anyone here go 1j or 2j and have an extra head? lol

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
no i meant did anyone go to 1j or 2j and have a 7m head sittin around lol.

does anyone know what you can machine the head max though?

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I know how you feel being a broke college student. The junkyard is your friend. A piece of advice. Make friends with the people who work in the junkyard. See if they need weekend help. You could end up with a job there. If you see the person pulling your core motor out of the car, buy him a coke and hand it to him as he is doing the work. A cold drink on a hot summer day can go a long way for getting little extras.

Peace and Engine Grease

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
My head had 0.030" taken off it. Now I run mid-grade gas because of the increase in compression ratio.

A quick Googlin' suggests aluminum get annealed at over 300, and more like 400deg C. I doubt that happened unless you ran it a long time with no coolant in it.

Asterix

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
well it was hot as hell out, the bypass hose under the dizzy blew out and yea, it got pretty dam hot. guy called and said the center of the cam tunnel is up about 8 thousands and the journals are smeared because the cam got hot.

so pretty much im gonna go scrap it at an aluminum place lol