CajunKenny's Build Thread

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
SWD Fredester 3;1672792 said:
Thanks, I think it will be sorted out. I actually think the springs were sent back 2 or 3 times and still the same results. The machine shop wouldn't use them because they were 10,000'ths. tight or binding in some way. Finally ditched them for a set of singles. Now it's on to installing shimless buckets. That process "SHOULD" have been done when the cams went in but I didn't know enough then-over a year ago now-to say the cams needed shimless buckets.
At least the bottom end is built for power, the head work change can be done, the fuel system is good for now. I know when I talked to JE the other day about tuning he said that he wanted to stop the tuning around 550 to 600 rwhp, mainly so I could get used to that and not kill myself--actually think he likes me!
After that phase we might add water/meth or straight water injection and take the boost and hp level up along with changing to 1,000CC RC injectors, fuel cell and a Weldon external pump. Truly it all equates to $$$$$$ available and things are tight this winter.

Stop telling us about your car in Kenny's thread. You don't want to get the old man to get grumpy before he does this....:: IJ. ::

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
IBoughtASupra;1672871 said:

Thought I might get a rise out of you with that! Carry on man it's all in good fun, I appreciated your interest in my problem. Kenny is great, he already has a few pieces from my old build in his car and there are more boxes on the way.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
SWD Fredester 3;1672866 said:
Thanks for getting my back Kenny! Besides, when you do end up with this car you'll have a build that will kick a 2J's ass any day of the week.

Don't tease me like that Fred. I got goose bumps and all! :D

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
SWD Fredester 3;1672883 said:
Thought I might get a rise out of you with that! Carry on man it's all in good fun, I appreciated your interest in my problem. Kenny is great, he already has a few pieces from my old build in his car and there are more boxes on the way.

Don't worry, when Kenny comes to the east coast and is in the NY area, I will give him a drive in both JZ cars. Rest assure, I will have the Bayer ready along with the defibrillator ready. :D

When he returns to Washington, he will be taking one of my spare JZ engine's with him. :D

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Kenny,
At VIP Friday, Ryann was telling me some guy from WA state, called him and was discussing the problems they are having with the MAFT Pro and the TCCS. Are you that guy? Are you going Standalone? Van

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Kenny got a standalone. I was going to PM him about a guy having one for sale since I knew he was looking for one, but them I saw he already paid for it. LOL! Talk about being alert and for a old geezer too, good job. :D

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Van;1688341 said:
Kenny,
At VIP Friday, Ryann was telling me some guy from WA state, called him and was discussing the problems they are having with the MAFT Pro and the TCCS. Are you that guy? Are you going Standalone? Van

Yep, that was me. I wouldn't say that I'm having problems with the Maft Pro, it's just that I've outgrown it. ;) I enjoyed talking with Ryan. He seems like a cautious tuner, doesn't come off arrogant in anyway, and seems to be a good listener. We have only one local AEM Certified tuner and he thinks he walks on water...

I did take the plunge on an AEM. I plan to do a street tune and then take it over to Ryan and have him finish it up.

Currently however, my tranny is on the floor and I'm having to order a new clutch disk. I didn't even get a year out of this one... :(

IBoughtASupra;1688376 said:
Kenny got a standalone. I was going to PM him about a guy having one for sale since I knew he was looking for one, but them I saw he already paid for it. LOL! Talk about being alert and for a old geezer too, good job. :D

I can't take ANY credit from my rapid purchase. A few other people knew I was looking and Fred shot me a PM just about as soon as that FS thread was posted! He he...:D

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Thanks for the props Kenny, always looking out for you.

Have you considered upgrading your clutch? Maybe to an OS Giken? With your new plans and goals in mind it sounds like you might need too. One year at around 300rwhp doesn't sound to good if you're making 500.

Any input on the Ferrea springs? Just wondering if you can get them to work.

-Fred

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I'd like to get a Giken; but, that is TOTALLY out of budget! That AEM took a huge bite out of my Supra Stash. I agree though. That clutch did live well at 350 whp, it really wouldn't have lasted at 500.

No word on the springs yet. I don't remember if I've already mentioned it; but, the guy that will be building my head has a machine for testing them so we'll see...

Once I'm through my cam and hood purchase, I'll start working towards the head.

Well, all that's after my newly acquired clutch endeavor... ;)

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Congratz on the AEM, Ken!
Lemme know if you need help setting it up, I have a couple maps that might be a good base for you to start off with!

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Kenny, you pulled apart your motor or is that a spare head?

What are you doing to the head? High lift cams? Springs, retainers and shimless buckets? Plan on coming close to revving like a JZ? :D

Use your wife's stash. She wouldn't know. :D

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
It's a spare head. The plan is Port & Polish, 3 Angle Valve Job, Port Matching, Heli-Coils on Exhaust side, 272 Cams, Ferrea Dual Valve Springs (depending on how they test), Ferrea Titanium Retainers, Ferrea Valve Seat Locators, and Viton Valve Stem Seals.

I have no idea what that will do for the rev's...

Puh...if I had access to the wife's stash, I have the head gold plated! ;)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Nice. 272 cams at what lift? How much power are you shooting for now? Are you are going to do shimless buckets, high lift cams would like it better. I thought they were hard to do but it is really not.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
IBoughtASupra;1689090 said:
Nice. 272 cams at what lift? How much power are you shooting for now? Are you are going to do shimless buckets, high lift cams would like it better. I thought they were hard to do but it is really not.

Sorry... 272's @ 226* Duration and 8.68mm of lift.

I wasn't planning on shimless buckets unless the builder sees the need.

I've learned not to shoot for a number anymore; but, with meth, I hope to see ~450 whp.

SupraRon;1689092 said:
Wow Ken looks like a lot has happened. Love to see some vids after the tune.

Thanks Ron. It has been REALLY slow over here. I just pulled the tranny this past weekend because my clutch went out. This is a slight detour... ;)

But, yeah...some new parts have arrived. AEM, Cams, Valvetrain parts, and some new pre-turbo intake pipe. Also, on the list is a Catch Can since I seem to have blown out my rear main.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
CajunKenny;1688753 said:
I'd like to get a Giken; ... That clutch did live well at 350 whp, it really wouldn't have lasted at 500.

No kidding... That was the 6 puck ACT disc with their HD pressure plate?
'Course if the rear main seal was letting go, I can understand the underwhelming performance there.