Cabin Wiring issues. Please Help.

DustinS

Supramania Contributor
Oct 9, 2012
Springfield, MO
So I just got the engine in my 86.5 and I went to start it and I couldn't get the starter to kick over. Did some test and the starter is good. It seems that when I put the ignition in "acc" mode, nothing happens. When I put it in "on" mode, everything turns on except I still don't have a radio and the yellow"constant" power wire goes dead(To the radio - which still won't turn on). Turn it to the "Start" Position and the dash and such shut off to start the car, but there is no power to the starter wire. I get .19 volts to the starter wire. Seems I only get 7 volts? to pin 4(and 8) of the ignition switch. The harness itself is missing pin and wire 5. The ignition switch has pin 5 though. I can take pictures of anything you need, and will supply any addition information as needed. I am at witts end and I really just want the car to start. It ran fine before I pulled the engine and gauge cluster. :: angry ::

DustinS

Supramania Contributor
Oct 9, 2012
Springfield, MO
Anyone? I have the constant battery power wire hooked up to a simple starter set-up to get the car running, But when I turn the car to the "on" position it cuts the power from the constant wire. It also seems that I have 12v power to the switched power wire at all times. With the car off, if I turn on my switch(just powers on an LED at this point, from the constant power wire on the radio) it drops the switched power wire to 7v. Maybe a short somewhere? What could have cause this issue after replacing the engine?

I am thinking about buying a new cabin harness to see if that fixes it, but I doubt it will.

DustinS

Supramania Contributor
Oct 9, 2012
Springfield, MO
Well I narrowed it down to the Dash Harness. Specifically the yellow plug the starter wire goes to by the ECU. Looking at buying a new cabin harness as I type this.