bypassing heater control valve?

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Does anyone know how to do this? Does it allow for you to still have heat and the car to run at normal operating temp? any help will be appreciated.
Thanks;
Tom

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
super easy. look at the heater valve. basically, all the heater valve is, is a
90* bend. take it off the one of the hoses, measure the size of the plastic inlet or outlet, (whichever, same size) go to a hardware store and just get a 90* plumbing elbow that's the same diameter.

OR, this is how i did it:

go to the local parts store, get 5 feet of 5/8" heater hose, and replace all the hoses. make one go from the back of the head to the heater core, and the other from behind the head to the driver's side of the heater core. bam. done. works like a charm.

edit: also, if you want an easy way to bleed the air from the heater core, you can get one of those prestone antifreeze flush kits, and simply put one of the bleeders/hose connectors in line with the new hoses, and when you want to get the air out of the system, simply loosen the cap on it a little, wait til you stop hearing air leak out, and a bit of antifreeze dribbles out, then tighten it back down. :)

note: i also have a JDM motor, so the heater outlet is on the opposite side, which was my main reason for doing this. :)

-shaeff

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
If you bypass the valve you have 2 choices: always have heat or never have heat. More than likely your heater doesn't work because the VSV is bad and that's a $30 fix.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Thanks you guy's!...I think I'll just check the vsv and try to get it back to normal. The car has a new heater core, but still no heat. If not for being my dd, I wouldn't worry about it.:icon_razz

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Just plug the vacuum line from the engine to the heater water valve(if it works) and forget about it. The only time the valve is closed is when you have the temp setting to 65*.

bobtsgt

Apr 26, 2005
cwapface said:
When you say heater vsv, is that the same thing as the heater control valve?
The VSV is the vacuum controller that controlls the actual heater valve. It all has to do with pressure.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
i had a problem w/ the little vacume control thing. iwent to a junkyard and stripped a 91 camry/cressada of all the devices i could find. installed the correct one,and now the heater works great. GOTTA HAVE HEAT

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
so you can by-pass it buy removing the entire assembly and adding a 90* coupler?? i want heat

also will i be able to turn the heat down, yano like set it to 77 so i don't roast!!

john

p.s. i am interested in this as my original peice broke off from age

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
jester1341 said:
so you can by-pass it buy removing the entire assembly and adding a 90* coupler??

yes. actually a 90* piece of pipe, but you got the idea.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
x87SUPRA87x said:
Ok, so when you bypass the vsv do you just leave the two vaccum inlets on the hcv with nothing on it? and can you still raise and lower the heat like normal when you do this?

follow the vacuum line to it's source (on the throttlebody, i believe) and cap it off there. yes, you'll still be able to adjust your heat temperature like normal.

jester, you're welcome:)

-shaeff

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
shaeff said:
follow the vacuum line to it's source (on the throttlebody, i believe) and cap it off there...
that's not what you do for the heater vsv bypass. you do that for the bvsv, charcoal canister elimination.

just follow the diagram on page one of this thread and yes you can leave the two nipples off the vsv itself open.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
oh, my mistake, i'm talking about removing the entire heater valve assembly, along with the VSV. good catch, isnms!

i dont have any of that crap on my car. no VSV, and no heater valve.

-shaeff