bypassed rheostat, worked for a minute, not anymore

DontRevMe

Aug 2, 2009
Gainesville
Dash lights werent working, i bypassed it by connecting the 2 white wires together. This worked for a few minutes, then the fuse i used in line blew, now its blowing 20 amp fuses. Sounds to me like i have a bad ground somewhere? Idea's where to start looking? Ive seen the TSRM but its not making much sense on locations of these wires...

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
You can bypass the dash dimmer infact you should if your upgrading the lights to something like blue leds because they are usually pretty much on or off.
what year car is it I will tell you how to do it.
Basicaly you store the power wire and jumper the variable center tap wire to the ground.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
On 1990
green-white most likely
or white-green will be spliced into the white-black wire.

on 1987 supras it is the same.
For sure the wire is White-green.

On 1989 Supras it is the same.
For sure the wire is White-green.

All models the green wire will be capped off with an insulator & stowed.

After that safely remove the dimmer.

The green wire to your gauge lighting goes to the 15A tail fuse.
This green wire also feeds power to the rear light failure ECU License plate lights front & rear side markers heater climate control box illumination AT indicator ECT patern switch etc..
If there is a short to ground anywhere on this wire it will blow the fuse.

If you are blowing fuses doing this mod then seperate the dimmer wires again the spliced whiteblack to greenwhite wires.
After seperating the wires if the fuse does not blow & your dash lights used to be really dim before on the brightest setting you either have to high of a wattage/amperage lightbulb in the markers or other electrical system tied in like the license plate.

or if after seperating the dimmer mod setup you still blow fuses it is because your lighting green wire is touching ground and shorting somewhere! The most common place this happins is the front side markers because there is a lot of under body stress and metal edges that like to cut into the wires especially if your not carfull working on the IC plumbing or removing the front bumper.

My wire was cut on front side markers but didnt touch metal so one of my side markers never worked but was lucky not to melt wires or blow fuses.

DontRevMe

Aug 2, 2009
Gainesville
got her fixed, turns out it was the FIRST PLACE I SHOULD HAVE CHECKED. The prev owner had a deck installed and of course, they connected the illum wires incorrectly LOL.

Now on to the damn dome lights...ugh

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
The tail light circuit is part of the dash illumination so your dash & parklights come on any time you flick the light switch in any on position.

Yea it sounds like to me he ran your dash radio off your illumination circuit:3d_frown:

Just to let you know what I did on another mod is a ran my fog lights off the tail circuit also so your fog lights are on in dim or bright mode and they turn off after the car turns off or if you turn your light system off.