Buying my first MKIII 1jzgte car

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Going down to Fl to buy my MKIII today. Anything I should look for or be aware of on these cars.
Can't wait to drive her back I have always liked the MkIII. Wish it was a 2jz car but that can always be done later.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Pretty reliable engines. The only thing you need to be aware of is all the 7m guys Knocking you about your car not having torque. While there cars set on jack stands. No offense David, Rufus. Good luck with the buy.

Last edited:

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Thanks to all, Picked up the car last night. I don't know what all the torque over the 7m motor is. Compared to my rb20det 240sx this is by far a MUCH better motor and car.
Might try to round up some taller gears for her.
And thanks to Roundfinger for a great car. The supra is the car I've been looking for for a while now. It's so much more substantial than the 240sx I had.
Looking for a piggyback for her if anyone knows of one for sale.
Thanks to all again.

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I'l take some pics either later today or Monday when I get her to the shop at work ( love working at a Porsche dealer ) Really don't know where I want to start. There isn't a lot to do to her. I might try to find a set of H&R or Eibach springs. And maybe try to find a late model rear hatch spoiler. I can see now that this car is going to be an obsession

Just remembered the other project I want for her. It started as a sport package n/a car and has a very low ratio rear diff. If anyone has a good used turbo diff that they would like to either sell or trade for the 4.10 or 4.30 diff thats in it. I'll get the exact numbers off of her Monday when I put it on the rack.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Welcome to the Mania. I'm in FL, and driving a '92 7M-GE to 1JZ-GTE conversion as well. I bought it already complete, and it has the R154 5-speed & 3.73 turbo rear end in it. The speedo is off by about 15%, but the car drives great. (Speedo will be fixed after I get some minor collision damage fixed- damage which occurred 13 days after I bought the car in January.)

I have some sort of lowering springs on the car, which I desperately want to get rid of. I actually want to raise the car back up to near stock ride height. When I find the right solution, I'll ID the old springs & post them for sale here.

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Yea mine started as a sport pack car. has the lsd diff in it and my speedo is WAY off with the r154 trans. Not really sure on the ratio but I thinks it the 4.30 rear. car reads 60mph actual is 52 that works out to the same 15% yours is off. I have to do some more checking to find out the actual ratio.
Also this has to be one of the BEST fourms I belonged to . I had a 95 240sx with a rb20 in it and the fourms for those are just crawling with nasty little kids .
You were hard pressed to get any useful information from any of them.
Plus this car is light years ahead of the nissan.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
/agree

I've found that as long as you make an honest effort to find your own answer first, and then phrase your questions clearly, folks here will make an honest effort to give you a hand.

I think after I wash my Mazdaspeed3 today, I'll bring the Supra out, damage & all, and drive her this coming week. Will try & get some pics, including engine bay, and post them in the appropriate spot.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
geartech;1535255 said:
Wanted to take some pictures now that I have the new springs and wheels on her. But NO it has to rain today, even after I washed her yesterday.

Welcome! You should know that the minute you wash the car, the gods will frown and send rain to ruin your work! Happens to me every time! Good luck with the 1j and plz post some pics asap!
Jeremy

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Taking pics this weekend ( if it will ever clear up down here.) Got the y pipe and down pipe for her and also going to put the wide band in it this weekend. Also have a new targa front seal to put on. The old one leaks a little at the drivers front corner.

pocketkiriyama

Jan 31, 2009
Illinois
geartech;1534678 said:
Yea mine started as a sport pack car. has the lsd diff in it and my speedo is WAY off with the r154 trans. Not really sure on the ratio but I thinks it the 4.30 rear. car reads 60mph actual is 52 that works out to the same 15% yours is off. I have to do some more checking to find out the actual ratio.
Also this has to be one of the BEST fourms I belonged to . I had a 95 240sx with a rb20 in it and the fourms for those are just crawling with nasty little kids .
You were hard pressed to get any useful information from any of them.
Plus this car is light years ahead of the nissan.

If only you live near me, I'd trade you my 3.90 differential for you 4.30. My driving style fits more with the higher gears.

Oh almost forgot. Welcome to SM!