Buying a Supra: Need advice

suprajon

Dec 2, 2009
Arizona
I've been trying to find a mk4 Supra for awhile now and finally found one I could buy as a project car. I wanted one I could fix up over time and not have to drop 15k+ on right away. :icon_bigg

The car is a 94 Supra shell (no engine/transmission/drivetrain). The shop is asking $3500. Body appears to be in good condition but the interior needs some work. Clean title. It used to be a turbo with the 6speed.

Can you guys provide some advice on if I am getting a good deal here? Is this the correct price range for a 94 Supra shell?

Thanks in advance.
Jon

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
suprajon;1464985 said:
I've been trying to find a mk4 Supra for awhile now and finally found one I could buy as a project car. I wanted one I could fix up over time and not have to drop 15k+ on right away. :icon_bigg

The car is a 94 Supra shell (no engine/transmission/drivetrain). The shop is asking $3500. Body appears to be in good condition but the interior needs some work. Clean title. It used to be a turbo with the 6speed.

Can you guys provide some advice on if I am getting a good deal here? Is this the correct price range for a 94 Supra shell?

Thanks in advance.
Jon

I would say that is a pretty good deal on a Turbo 6 speed shell from what I have seen (I have seen some shells priced in the 7k range). With that said, if you plan on going 2jz with the V160 and factory torsen you will be spending quite a lot of money getting it working. You may be better off trying to find a high mileage 6spd for 20k.

either way good luck.

Dave

suprajon

Dec 2, 2009
Arizona
Thanks for the advice guys.

I actually went to go see the shell this morning...

The car was in pieces and had been in bad accident. The frame was bent and firewall smashed in. That was too much for me :(

I think I'm going to pass on this one and stick with the mk3 while I keep looking.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Poodles;1465331 said:
Doubt he'll find a TT for 20K regardless of milage.

Got any pics? Does it have a title?

you must not be checking mk4 prices often. I have seen MANY high mileage/unclean 6spd examples in the 18-22 range especially in the last 6 months. If you want a low mileage well cared for, tastefully done 6spd it is a 25-35k dollar car based on quite a few things.

couple examples - autos can be had for about 3k cheaper I would say.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558198

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563285 - This one looks really nice for the price, if you can get over the high mileage, also looks like its leaking some fluids though.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567319 - near the bottom of the TT market

Still waiting for the day I can pull the trigger and park a clean low mileage TT 6spd next to the MK3, a year or two more and that day will come.

Last edited:

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
it will cost you way more to build a $3500 shell than it would to just buy a running car in decent shape to work on slowly. I know, I dropped about 50K in to my MK4 to restore it to better than OEM. I wont be doing that ever again :)