buyer got my supra impounded..

mclabaugh

suprastuntin
Nov 29, 2006
houston, tx
so my old supra was perfect at one point. had a fresh 7MGE swap, R154 swap, headers, exhaust, intake, new tires, new Alpine S-series speakers..blah, blah..I redlined it and developed a slight knock and got dissapointed and sold it to a friend. I told him exactly what was wrong, not to drive until it repaired by a professional...he drove it everyday as a delivery driver until it finally blew. then he left it at his old apartments when he moved.

now it has been in impound for 47 days and the bill is at exactly what i sold it for...the car is still in my name..

so i must be a retard because i really want it back so i can try another swap in it...2JZ NA..what do you think fellas???

mclabaugh

suprastuntin
Nov 29, 2006
houston, tx
thats awesome!! thanks for the support guys!! LOL!! my wife wants to kill me for wanting it back, but i know i cant let it slip away!

My wife works at a car dealership and is trying to find someone who knows the owner of the tow yard to see if he will take a cash settlement for the fees.

I will most definately post pics of any progress as soon as i get it back..

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
When you sold it, did you sign and send in the release of Liability to DMV? If YES, then you should listen to the wife and let it sit there.

If NO, yo udid not sign the release of liability and sent it in, then you might as well get it back. If you don't, then the impound can auction/lien sale the car, and make you pay the balance for their storage and administrative fees.

mclabaugh

suprastuntin
Nov 29, 2006
houston, tx
yeah, I'm gonna offer them half of the fees that they want. if they dont take the cash i'll just wait till they auction it and buy it back for the same as half anyway. they would be dumb not to take the cash first...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Why would they take half? They will auction it for whatever they can get, deduct that from your total amount of fees then bill you the remainder. If its in your name you are liable for whatever the total fee amounts to. They can just sell it off to some collections agency if you don't pay and you will be screwed.

Hypothetical:
The fees are $2,000 today and you decide to wait. They will sit on the car for a few more months by which time your fees might be $6,000. The car goes up for auction and sells for $2,000. That $4,000 is still tied to you and they will try to collect on it. If you wait to buy the car at auction for the $2,000 then you still have a yard bill for 4 grand to pay off.

If you don't buy the car at auction you still have the yard fees to deal with. I say try to prove that the car was sold and not in your name. Get them to go after the guy that you sold it to for the fees. If you want the car offer them cash to buy it now rather than let it sit then go to auction.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
If the yard fees are exactly what you got paid for it, this is like screaming the car is destined to be in your possession. DO IT!
-AM3

mclabaugh

suprastuntin
Nov 29, 2006
houston, tx
hey guys!! sorry I took so long to respond... I picked up the supra yesterday from the impound owner..he listened to my situation and decided to show some kindness and released the supra to me for $600. the original impound fees totaled over $1200... it is back in my driveway!!!

I am looking around to get an estimate of what parts i need to swap in a 2J NA.. so I can start my project over!!!!

mclabaugh

suprastuntin
Nov 29, 2006
houston, tx
Another MkIII;1345223 said:
If the yard fees are exactly what you got paid for it, this is like screaming the car is destined to be in your possession. DO IT!
-AM3

It must be destiny or something cause I have it back!! SWEET!!