Buy or Rent Spring Compressor?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hello friends,

I'm going to be doing some suspension work on the Supra this winter (planning on Tokico HP and Eibach springs) and I'll be doing some stock replacement on my MR2 this fall. I'll need a spring compressor for at least the MR2 and the Supra if the Eibach springs are long enough.

I'm not opposed to buying my own tool for spring compressing if it would be better/safer than the rental tools from Autozone and the like. However, if they're the same I'd be fine with saving myself the $$ as I'm planning on buying a house shortly. I've got a shop air set-up (albeit weak) if it makes any difference.

Does anyone have a reason to buy the tool instead of renting the Autozone ones? If so, which specific tool is better/best?

Thanks! :)

41ZchN4qpQL.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
So long as you have a local autoparts store, renting is fine. I wouldn't trust most of the cheaper tools out there, but the ones you have pictured work well.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Just check the threads on the bolts of the compressor. On this one set I rented a 1 inch section of thread was striped to shit. Would've been bad news if I didn't catch it. Possible broken hand or nose if it wasn't for my keen eye sight ;)

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Good deal, thanks for the replies guys. Saved me $50. :)

I'll check threads for sure. You could kill yourself with one of those letting go in your face.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I just sat the spring on the ground under my foot and took the nut off. They barely popped apart. No flying parts or injuries. The H&R springs went on by hand, no compressing.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
jake8790;1879991 said:
I just sat the spring on the ground under my foot and took the nut off. They barely popped apart. No flying parts or injuries. The H&R springs went on by hand, no compressing.

Don't do this. Unless you're going to do it while you run around with scissors. Then go ahead.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
BoostMonger;1879868 said:
Just check the threads on the bolts of the compressor. On this one set I rented a 1 inch section of thread was striped to shit. Would've been bad news if I didn't catch it. Possible broken hand or nose if it wasn't for my keen eye sight ;)

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
Friend of mine had this happen and snapped his wrist. Definitely a dangerous situation should you get crappy tools. I agree with everyone else though, just rent one. No need to buy one. I doubt you will use it that often. It's not like you're replacing your springs every other month or something.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
projectsupra;1879955 said:
Why even bother with those little spring compressors if you don't have to?
Just let the cars weight compress the springs safely and easily with a jack under the suspension.

Since the spring won't be fully decompressed by the time the top fo the strut comes out, what you're suggesting is extremely dangerous.

jake8790;1879991 said:

"Barely" popped apart means the spring doesn't travel far, but it has a lot of force. It may not look like much, but it's enough force to do serious damage. While there are ways to disassemble them that way safely, most springs will need to be compressed to be installed.

Also, coilovers don't require spring compressors :naughty:

Notsafe1jz

Aug 16, 2012
Ohio
Poodles;1880050 said:
Since the spring won't be fully decompressed by the time the top fo the strut comes out, what you're suggesting is extremely dangerous.

"Barely" popped apart means the spring doesn't travel far, but it has a lot of force. It may not look like much, but it's enough force to do serious damage. While there are ways to disassemble them that way safely, most springs will need to be compressed to be installed.

Also, coilovers don't require spring compressors :naughty:

Yeah what he said.

OP, just rent them things. I've most likely done suspension work/swaps for over 20 different vehicles in my life and have never bought a set. It's usually convenient to rent and usually no money out of pocket. Auto parts store usually swap their rent kits out pretty frequently as someone is always breaking them and/or keeping them. If you did 1 to 2 suspension swaps a week, sure buy a set. But don't cheap out on something that has enough force to keep your car going down the road. My witnessed first hand(and no pun intended) to the destruction that a spring under force can do to your dick beaters. My friend was bruised for weeks.

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
Poodles;1880050 said:
I believe you are misunderstanding. I have watched a spring compressor fail and that man lost fingers.
I've done this countless times on countless cars, no amount of money is worth risking injury, this is much safer.
Pop the hood and impact the shock nut off with the suspension supported, lower the suspension, remove loose shock and spring, reverse installation.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Im sorry to sound rude, but let an experiance person do it. In the shop I work at we use a Snap-on one bolted to a wall and its still dangerous if you do it right.
Like would you try and fix your own home electrical panel... of corse not you call a professional.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Maple191;1880271 said:
Im sorry to sound rude, but let an experiance person do it. In the shop I work at we use a Snap-on one bolted to a wall and its still dangerous if you do it right.
Like would you try and fix your own home electrical panel... of corse not you call a professional.

I'd certainly fix my own electrical panels! I'm a manufacturing engineer who designs, modifies, and creates tooling and procedures for a living. I rely on my ability to learn how to do something and perform potentially dangerous tasks in a safe and reliable manner. At home, if I don't own the correct tool, I'll buy it so I can do it as well as the professional mechanic and ensure my things are given the utmost level of attention and care. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SupraRzTT

Jun 14, 2009
BC
lower shock mount against the wall, giant towel wrapped around spring, stand on it, and impact it off. its how i do it.