Buy a brand new Mines ECU, or send yours off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
High Hp and stock twins is an oxymoron. I reccomend you throw them in the trash and get a single to get "higher horsepower".

What are MKIII's used for then? To keep Toyota's parts department rich?

87tboMkIII

Automotive Bachelor
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
rakkasan said:
weak arguement since MKIII's aren't normally used as business travel vehicles...

Just because they rarely make it across states in stock form doesn't mean that we can't hypothetically say this and use the FL-Colorado scenario.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
OneJoeZee said:
It is a yes or no question. It's not like asking if a GT47-88 is better than a GT35R. :rofl:

When is a reflash ECU with piggy backs EVER going to be better than a standalone tuned by a qualified tuner?

Why can't you say yes or no. Are you afraid to be wrong? :stickpoke

Rakkasan: lol! I want to hear it from Ric though, instead of all this tap dancing for pages and pages.

I daily drive my car, take trips, etc... Putting a stand alone on it would render it a piece of shit. I'm thinking about driving my car from Florida to Cali next year when I move out. What would I do if i had a stand alone? Stop on the side of the road and retune everytime i get on a peak or valley crossing the rockys? :biglaugh:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ric said:
High Hp and stock twins is an oxymoron. I reccomend you throw them in the trash and get a single to get "higher horsepower".

What are MKIII's used for then? To keep Toyota's parts department rich?

I recommend you answer my question.

OneJoeZee said:
You still haven't even answered the question. Do you believe a Mine's ECU is a better investment than a standalone EMS?? It's a yes or no question. Don't write me a novel.

Yes or No Ric!!?? You are the king of tap dancing and it's getting old. Your irrational and silly posts are getting old too.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
87tboMkIII said:
Just because they rarely make it across states in stock form doesn't mean that we can't hypothetically say this and use the FL-Colorado scenario.

True. How often do you leave the flat state of Florida for the high country of Colorado in your Supra?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Ric said:
I daily drive my car, take trips, etc... Putting a stand alone on it would render it a piece of shit. I'm thinking about driving my car from Florida to Cali next year when I move out. What would I do if i had a stand alone? Stop on the side of the road and retune everytime i get on a peak or valley crossing the rockys? :biglaugh:

Avoid the Rockies by going through TX-NM-AZ maybe?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ric said:
I daily drive my car, take trips, etc... Putting a stand alone on it would render it a piece of shit.
Why? Because you don't know anyone that can tune their way out of a paper bag?

Answer my question. Yes or no. Stop being a sissy and man-up. Just answer the question

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
OneJoeZee said:
I recommend you answer my question.

Yes or No Ric!!?? You are the king of tap dancing and it's getting old. Your irrational and silly posts are getting old too.

Daily driven car? Worst investment ever.

Weekend car/dyno queen/strip car? Great investment.

87tboMkIII

Automotive Bachelor
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
rakkasan said:
True. How often do you leave the flat state of Florida for the high country of Colorado in your Supra?

I don't hesitate to drive my supra anywhere. I drive it to the mountains every few months (NC though)

However, I should mention I sold the POS MKIII and got a Single'd MKIV. :biglaugh:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ric said:
Daily driven car? Worst investment ever.

Weekend car/dyno queen/strip car? Great investment.

:rofl: That's not yes or no answer! I swear, you have the worst reading comprehension skills I've seen all week.

Worst investement for a daily driver? Your posts get more and more irrational. If I had a dollar for every time you've posted in a thread telling people to send their broken stock ECUs in to get replaced, I'd be a rich man. What do you have to say about all those that had stock ECUs crap out on them? Replace their caps? :stickpoke How about go with a standalone and never have that problem with a failing stock ECU again.

As many failed 1J ECU threads as we've seen posted in the last couple years, how can you possibly say that would be better for a daily driver than a properly tuned standalone? You're always the FIRST person to tell anyone that their electrical problems are probably do to a failed ECU. You even told ME that my electrical problem was because of a failed ECU. Guess what? It was just a simple connector that wasn't plugged in. And I have a Mine's ECU too and you thought it failed on me. So make up your mind. You can't have it both ways.

And you still haven't answered my question yes or no. Quit writing me all these peripheral responses and just say yes or no.

Last edited:

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
OneJoeZee said:
As many failed 1J ECU threads as we've seen posted in the last couple years, how can you possibly say that would be better for a daily driver than a properly tuned standalone? You're always the FIRST person to tell anyone that their electrical problems are probably do to a failed ECU.

A $50 one time fee to fix an ECU is sure of a hell alot better then telling someone to buy an AEM and spend the near grand to get it kinda tuned for street use, and to also let them know to watch the weather channel everyday just in case a cold front comes in so they can warm the laptop up.

PS, It's $800 at Titan to get an AEM tuned by Darin on the dyno. If you don't know who he is, and your nutswinging stand alones.. you need to be banned.

Tuning an AEM to run at WOT correctly takes no less then 8hrs on the dyno. Tuning an AEM to run correctly at part throttle applications is a never ending process, the software is not capable of changing the tune in different weather or altitude. Every time those change, you have to remap.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ric said:

Keep tap dancing.

Let me know when you're ready to answer my question yes or no.

I'm not nutswinging anything, smart guy. I have a Mine's ECU. It's great. But a better investment at 1800 than a standalone? Never.

87tboMkIII

Automotive Bachelor
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
In this case, I side with Ric. It's NOT a yes or no answer. IT's a very hazy one that could be swayed either way depending on the particular car/setup/owner preference/goals/use.

If I had a car (NOT neccessarily a MKIII because I doubt I'll ever get back into them) in which I was done with the mechanical part of modding, and I wanted a nice ''set it and forget it" (thanks Ronco) kind of setup where I wasn't constantly having to f*ck with tuning I would consider this an option. I am even hesitant to get anything like a standalone in my MKIV because I just really don't want to have to keep a laptop in the car to make corrections for practicality's sake and theft deterrance. It's my daily driver and I like being able to drive it and not have to worry about shit.

However, we are also talking about comparing a modded 2 decade old technology to something more modern. So that must be taken into consideration also.

We all know there are exceptions to everything, in the end it's based upon owner preference and the car in question. Newer domestic ECU's with tuners are unbelievably efficient and easily tuneable to just about any application and if done properly.

You guys never cease to make me LOL.
I love watching two Uber 1337 JDM warriors go at it.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
AF1JZ said:
Gots a question for you Joe....since we are way off from topic anyway, what kinda gains did you see with the mines compared to the stock ecu?

I couldn't really tell you the gains from stock ECU with any dyno sheets or anything. I never had a stock ECU in this car. I dynoed 293@12psi though with the Mine's ECU and other stock twin mods. It feels stronger after 4k than my old stock ECU 1J car though. It's a nice upgrade and the going rate for a Mine's ECU is usually around $500 when they're posted for sale on the forums or ebay.

87tboMKIII: If you have a standalone properly tuned by a qualified and certified tuner, you shouldn't have any problems with it and you don't have to keep a laptop in your car. A friend of mine is running his new 1J setup with a stinger standalone and is daily driving his car so far without issues. You should only have to adjust something when you change something in your setup or the tune was not sufficiently done the first time. This isn't any different than a Mine's ECU or anything. If you change something, you can't simply adjust the reflash ECU. You're going to have to compensate with some kind of piggyback. Changing your setup will require changing your tune to optimize the new setup no matter what ECU you have.

I only asked if Ric thought an 1800 dollar Mine's ECU is a better investment than a standalone and I don't see any gray area there. 2K is alot to spend and you might as well get the most for your dollar. You need a proper tune either way. What if you told Mine's the wrong information? Or between the time you order it and the 4 weeks you get it, you decide to change? What then? You'd have to compensate for the changes because you can't adjust the Mine's yourself. With a standalone,you change something in your setup and take it back to your tuner to adjust or retune. No having to ship back to Japan and waiting.

If you found a Mine's for sale somewhere for around 500, I'd say sure go for it. Great buy. But you are still limited to modifying or fooling the ECU.

Last edited:

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
OneJoeZee said:
I couldn't really tell you the gains from stock ECU with any dyno sheets or anything. I never had a stock ECU in this car. I dynoed 293@12psi though with the Mine's ECU and other stock twin mods. It feels stronger after 4k than my old stock ECU 1J car though. It's a nice upgrade and the going rate for a Mine's ECU is usually around $500 when they're posted for sale on the forums or ebay.

87tboMKIII: If you have a standalone properly tuned by a qualified and certified tuner, you shouldn't have any problems with it and you don't have to keep a laptop in your car. A friend of mine is running his new 1J setup with a stinger standalone and is daily driving his car so far without issues. You should only have to adjust something when you change something in your setup or the tune was not sufficiently done the first time. This isn't any different than a Mine's ECU or anything. If you change something, you can't simply adjust the reflash ECU. You're going to have to compensate with some kind of piggyback. Changing your setup will require changing your tune to optimize the new setup no matter what ECU you have.

I only asked if Ric thought an 1800 dollar Mine's ECU is a better investment than a standalone and I don't see any gray area there. 2K is alot to spend and you might as well get the most for your dollar. You need a proper tune either way. What if you told Mine's the wrong information? Or between the time you order it and the 4 weeks you get it, you decide to change? What then? You'd have to compensate for the changes because you can't adjust the Mine's yourself. With a standalone,you change something in your setup and take it back to your tuner to adjust or retune. No having to ship back to Japan and waiting.

If you found a Mine's for sale somewhere for around 500, I'd say sure go for it. Great buy. But you are still limited to modifying or fooling the ECU.

The question that should be asked IMO is which MOD will yield more HP per dollar spent and if you are willing to spend that much on it not which one is BETTER. Do you agree?

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
So, I don't plan on going standalone anytime soon. Probably never since this is going to be my DD and I'm not going for high HP. Is the mines worth spending the $500 on since it is plug and play and I'll yield some better numbers than the stock ecu?

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
AF1JZ said:
So, I don't plan on going standalone anytime soon. Probably never since this is going to be my DD and I'm not going for high HP. Is the mines worth spending the $500 on since it is plug and play and I'll yield some better numbers than the stock ecu?

Me and OneJoe have the same dyno numbers with the stock twins. He's on mine ecu and I am on stock ecu. The point is like it's been said before different cars reacts to the same mod or not.

Even if you can afford to buy 2k worth of mod and the guy next to you spend 1k and he's got more hp than you then you'll be pissed. On the other hand, you could make more HP and he'll be pissed and he would think your's the better setup. With that said nothing is proven and guarantee to work. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.