Built-up headwork on my 1JZ...what kind of cams?

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
I'm looking to go more power out of my 1JZ and I want the head on my engine to flow way more. HP upgrades have been huge on camshaft upgrades (with tuning) on our cars. I'm looking to go all out, port matching head, upgraded 1mm over-sized valves, double titanium valve springs, retainer set, 3 angle valve job, port and mild polish.

I am thinking of getting HKS 2JZ 280 camshafts and then machining them to fit the 1JZ head or is this over-kill and I just need BC 272's?

Motor Specs:

1JZ-GTE (Fresh rebuild ~ 1K miles)
GT-37R Turbo (Boosting 15psi currently, want to go a full 35psi soon)
Stinger Standalone
720cc Injectors
etc...

Let me know people.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Since your goals are around 650-700whp max, I'd go with some Crower 272's large cores, if they actually fit right.

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
I have'nt been on this site that long but, I havent seen anyone on here that can give you an answer based on experience. could be wrong though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Boostage said:
I have'nt been on this site that long but, I havent seen anyone on here that can give you an answer based on experience. could be wrong though.
Well said I was just sitting here thinking the same thing ;)

There are so many variables what works for one won't always work for someone else's car.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
Well...my thought is that now that we have proven that the 2JZ head flows more than the 1JZ, and the gains from a camshaft and valve-train upgrade in our 1JZ yields high horsepower numbers (50-75 hp just from the cams) then I want my 1JZ head to flow even more and I'll get HKS 280's. Do I have the wrong thought process? Can anyone talk me out of the HKS 280's other than cost? Or is there a different route that I can take?

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Here's the thing, forget about power, where and how high do you plan to rev... if you over cam your car you will end up hurting your car only gaining near redline and loosing too much down low.

I can get you the custom large core 272's that Racer was talking about however, he had some problems due to spacing unfortunatly.

If you get the large core you'll need shimless bucks as these tend to spit the shims as me and racer did. The large core's have more lift then the HKS's and keeps out the overlap which is great for turbo cars as everytime I've seen overlapped cars you loose so much down low it's not worth it. The extra lift will allow for huge amounts of air to enter and the added duration will keep it open longer and allow you to rev higer without loosing power.

BC stuff still isn't ready i'll let everyone know when it is.

In the meantime if you are intrested in larger cams talk to me man ;) you know i'm the crower/bc guy when it comes to 1jz /7m/2j cams. ;)

EvoLuTioN

no-JZ Your Mom!
Mar 10, 2006
Bed
I got the crower 272 small cores and I pull all the way to rev limiter if that means anything *shrug*

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
:rofl: @ ric

the crower 264s are nice cams, I just wish they had more lift.. I'm sure theres another 20 hp in just adding .050 more lift to .400.. oh well..

I loved the 264s on my single 67.. powerband was awesome..

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
I plan to rev to 9K for sure.

Zazzn said:
Here's the thing, forget about power, where and how high do you plan to rev... if you over cam your car you will end up hurting your car only gaining near redline and loosing too much down low.

I can get you the custom large core 272's that Racer was talking about however, he had some problems due to spacing unfortunatly.

If you get the large core you'll need shimless bucks as these tend to spit the shims as me and racer did. The large core's have more lift then the HKS's and keeps out the overlap which is great for turbo cars as everytime I've seen overlapped cars you loose so much down low it's not worth it. The extra lift will allow for huge amounts of air to enter and the added duration will keep it open longer and allow you to rev higer without loosing power.

BC stuff still isn't ready i'll let everyone know when it is.

In the meantime if you are intrested in larger cams talk to me man ;) you know i'm the crower/bc guy when it comes to 1jz /7m/2j cams. ;)

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
iv got hks 272s with a t78 and i love it noticed a ton more low end power and my top end is unbelievable over the stock cams.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

squrillbait

Jun 5, 2005
wichita, ks
am i crazy? where are you finding valve train kits for the 1j? i mean i know there are cams out there but where if anywhere are the springs valves retainers buckets ect.? i must be crazy ps sorry to dig up dead bodies i know this thread is old as dirt, but i need info cause im getting my head done, sides ppl always complain if you dont use the d@mn search option

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
I have my own line of 1jz head parts and also 2jz head parts. I’m working closely with my machinist to get shim less buckets at an affordable price. I already have better guides and valves and upgraded springs. Dual valve springs is not an issue. I can have cams made custom to your head work, to maximize and squeeze all the power out of the head.

meet07

Nov 29, 2007
Wake Forest
So what exactly are these shims that you speak of??? And how would you put them into spec. I mean there isn't any torque, specs,clerances info on the net.