building the 7m or go 2jz for 600whp fun street car!

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Supracentral;1811563 said:
That really covers it. It's not some 2JZ vs. 7M series bigotry. It's a newer motor with a better design. It's tougher and lasts longer. Period. Dollar for dollar, if you spend the same amount of money on both engines, the 2JZ will, by default always come out on top. It's a square geometry engine, it's got a better head design, it's simply an improvement on the M series design. It's not an emotional issue, although fanboys on both sides try to turn it into one.

This.

I never get why people eat someone's head off from choosing a old SBC instead of going LS...apply that theory to the 7M and JZ conversation and people get angry.

OP, you've already spent so much on the 7M stay with it until you really have enough and want the power the 2JZ will give you. 800HP on a stock block 2JZ have last years given that the tune was good. Above that you are really pushing the bottom end.

If you want 600HP, the 2JZ would laugh at it just like Ian would when someone posts they reached 3000 posts. ;)

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
thank you guys, didn't mean to get anything started with the 7m and jz thing my apologies. reason i posted this is because the time is almost here as soon as i tune my car i am either going to be doing a forged 7m or swapping a 2jz from what everyone has said and from what knowledge i already have from searching the 2jz is a win win . some people stay 7m thought it might make more sense. to be honest though if i went 2jz i would want to do a v160 swap and many other things to have the ultimate setup which would seem like a boast ton of money to do lol that's why i feel the 7m might have been something i should keep considering, i already have a fresh 7m motor and a built r154 along with a fresh 3.7 diff. now i do know the 2jz will do 600 easy and i may just go 2jz then since it is newer and is more reliable with power and since i drive the car a lot i don't need any blown headgaskets haha. i feel though that the 7m built right is pretty reliable i have yet to have a problem with my 7m that was rebuilt .20 over " not built lol" my machinist did a good job and so did the guy that did the rebuild. thank you guys for the opinions! i will have to decide which route to take i guess :) whichever one will make me the happiest and have a very fun fast street car will make me satisfied

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
particularly with the billet 6265 precision turbo is a .68 a/r going to choke at 7500 rpm? i plan to rev the car to 7500-7800 rpm at max didn't know if the .68 a/r would choke real bad i want the quick spool! my only other choice would be .81 a/r just didn't know if anyone was running a .68 a/r with cams and built head to flow more on any 2jz or 7ms?

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I have a .68 exhaust housing on a 6266 with 264's on a 2J and I expect it to choke out up top, I'm not looking for the full potential of that turbo yet. I want an early spool with full boost under 4k for track racing this year. Next year with higher compression I will get a bigger AR and take the rev limit to 9k to match.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IBoughtASupra;1811613 said:
This.

I never get why people eat someone's head off from choosing a old SBC instead of going LS...apply that theory to the 7M and JZ conversation and people get angry.

OP, you've already spent so much on the 7M stay with it until you really have enough and want the power the 2JZ will give you. 800HP on a stock block 2JZ have last years given that the tune was good. Above that you are really pushing the bottom end.

If you want 600HP, the 2JZ would laugh at it just like Ian would when someone posts they reached 3000 posts. ;)
An LS is improved in every single area and a far superior engine, a Jz is an evolution of a 7M so not a huge leap forward.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
IBoughtASupra;1813076 said:
Ian,

Don't you think a DOHC and VVT-i setup would make the LS better?
They do VVT in the late model engines Andy, DOHC isn't that big a deal with Roller rockers and Roller lifters, you just need to compare the physical size of an LS to say Fords Modular engine, I'd prefer the smaller package, a 1uz is wider and only an inch or so longer for -2 litres displacement, same size LS package can be punched out to 7 litres with ease.

I have a LOT of SBC experience and trust me the LS is surperior in every single area, Chev got it right.

Dylan JZ;1813091 said:
I feel like the LS is still ancient in terms of technology..
I disagree, OHC engines are the older design ;)

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
ok thank you! i think im going to stick with the .68 a/r it will be very responsive if i get bored ill go .81 a/r, with cams and a built head and motor and a good tune i think i can make the 6265 do some big things :)

SaltyMKIII

the dude abides
Mar 30, 2010
Queens, New York
if you want all day 500 hp and a crisp throttle responce then go LS... i love turbos and i'm building my 7m for 400hp just for my targa but when thats all done i plan on going LS3/6spd trans in my hard top. the LS is gonna give you all that power and it'll and keep it there

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1813092 said:
They do VVT in the late model engines Andy, DOHC isn't that big a deal with Roller rockers and Roller lifters, you just need to compare the physical size of an LS to say Fords Modular engine, I'd prefer the smaller package, a 1uz is wider and only an inch or so longer for -2 litres displacement, same size LS package can be punched out to 7 litres with ease.

I have a LOT of SBC experience and trust me the LS is surperior in every single area, Chev got it right.

I disagree, OHC engines are the older design ;)
But... but... what if Chevy did the DOHC route on their bigger v8's? I know the LS7 likes to rev, but imagine if it had a better valve train setup? Would make the same hp, and similar torque output, with even less displacement. :p

The LS *is* 15 years old this year...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
te72;1813482 said:
But... but... what if Chevy did the DOHC route on their bigger v8's? I know the LS7 likes to rev, but imagine if it had a better valve train setup? Would make the same hp, and similar torque output, with even less displacement. :p

The LS *is* 15 years old this year...
But they do fine with pushrods, there are 4 valve heads for them and they're not a huge +, 15 years is still a youngen as far as engine designs go!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1813556 said:
15 years is still a youngen as far as engine designs go!

Considering the small block Chevy started production in 1955 and was the backbone of the GM fleet until 2003, yea 15 is "new". Hell the damned small blocks are still being produced by GM Goodwrench as aftermarket performance motors and a couple of other companies and subsidiaries still make them as well.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1813556 said:
15 years is still a youngen as far as engine designs go!

Considering the small block Chevy started production in 1955 and was the backbone of the GM fleet until 2003, yea 15 is "new". Hell the damned small blocks are still being produced by GM Goodwrench as aftermarket performance motors and a couple of other companies and subsidiaries still make them as well.

ohiosupramst

Aug 31, 2009
Cincinnati
Ok this is coming from a guy building a 600whp 7m ya know the red 91 Supra up at Shanes. Everything about the 7m is a PIA. First off what cam are you going to chose? You can either get junk BC cams or deal Richs nightmares Vs. getting a good quality kelford or GSC cam. You ready dont need a front facing intake manifold look at shawn cassidy he runs 9's with a stock intake manifold. Also what Exhaust manifold will you use? Also think that the stock 7m coils will not suffice for 600hp so youll have to go to is300 coils or something else. Personally if I had to do over again Id get myself a $1800 2jz everyday of the week vs. spending 1800 on just the bottom end of a 7m. Also 6266>6265

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
i am in the process of getting is300 vvti coils, dh61 ignitor, sequential injection wired, aem ems with all sensors, 18 psi dyno tune on 93 pump ion my 57 trim ct26 7m Shane built! i want to get it done which it should be done and dyno'd in about 3 weeks and start another setup for 600hp i really want to go 2jz v160 like one of my buddies has and considering all the people saying to go jz i might just do it it seems like a good route and should be reliable and fun as hell. thank you ohiosupramst i didn't know you went to Shane? is yours the drag 7m they are building? props for a 600hp 7m!! i think i am going to go 2jz and throw a 6266 since you mentioned it i heard it did 843rwhp on e85 on a 3.4l stroker supra at SP but that thing is built to the max haha

ohiosupramst

Aug 31, 2009
Cincinnati
Yep I'm the one with the Drag Supra gonna run the T66 for this year then switch to a 6766 next year when it blows though I'm going to a 2jz. If I remember right you were with Matt at tx2k11 ? Yeah anything with the 66 back side is the hot turbo these days.

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
yes that was me! had a great time wish i could go again to 2k12 sadly im not but matt is with a whole new monster setup lol good luck on your drag car! as much as i like the 7m i really want a lot more and just plan to swap to the 2jz after being in matts 2jz v160 its just such a fun car and is very reliable too and a lot less of a hassle if the moneys there why not. i gotta start saving lol