building the 7m or go 2jz for 600whp fun street car!

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
im getting ready to wrap up my current 7m setup to either go forged 7m or go 2jz im looking to run a precision billet 6265 turbo, standalone, fuel system for e85 ect.. i know this has been talked about numerous times and i know there are many arguments i just want opinions on rebuilding my 7m forged or going 2jz, i want a very fun street/highway car with good power 600whp or so on higher boost and occasionally take the car to the track. let me know what you guys would recommend! money shouldn't be the issue when the time comes to start the build. thanks!

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
88mk3supra;1811004 said:
im getting ready to wrap up my current 7m setup to either go forged 7m or go 2jz im looking to run a precision billet 6265 turbo, standalone, fuel system for e85 ect.. i know this has been talked about numerous times and i know there are many arguments i just want opinions on rebuilding my 7m forged or going 2jz, i want a very fun street/highway car with good power 600whp or so on higher boost and occasionally take the car to the track. let me know what you guys would recommend! money shouldn't be the issue when the time comes to start the build. thanks!

Exactly.

Anyways, 2jzgte everytime.

Edit: https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclie...oq=site:supramania.com+7m|7mgte+vs+2jz|2jzgte

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
My answer generally defaults to the following question: "is this car a toy, or do you need it for transportation too?"

7m - Great for 'toy' or occasional cars, or if you have the dedication needed to do it right.

2j - In most cases, the better option for a DD-requiring car.

Still... definitely a dead horse you're after here... ;)

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
i know its been covered many times i have searched a lot on the topic for years im just very torn between actually spending a load of money to make the 7m perform what the 2jz can in stock form but i want to have a very very fun car for street use. not everyday driven but driven a lot! i like the mid range and above power of the 2jz but im sure the 7m can do similar when built to handle it. since i only plan to use the billet 62 i wont be expecting more than 650whp and that's on race gas or e85 and high boost with quick response id like to rev to 7500-7800 rpm too if it doesn't run out of steam

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
thank you te72 i agree the 2jz is more reliable thus better for daily use and beating on! 7m is very unforgiving haha...i have seen some pretty stout built 7ms from induction performance in Florida that i am following closely on...i dont beat on my car at all i like to drive the highway and city cruise and have fun maybe once or twice take it to the track every year. goal is to surprise many people on the street of what a well done mk3 can do whether it be 2jz or 7m :)

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
to give you an idea of what the setup will be on either motor : billet 6265 precision turbo undecided on the a/r housing yet, e85 compatible fuel system, upgraded oil system, aem or pro efi standalone, cams, built head and motor, all supporting mods, built r154, clutch to hold the power/torque im looking for, 3.73 diff., already have full suspension and brakes. many other things of course with the setup

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I started to go down the 7M path this fall. But, with the cost of building the block and putting forged internals in it, the cost of FFIM and general unreliability of the 7M I spent the money I would have used on building the 7M and a FFIM and bought a 2JZ. The swap is a lot more expensive, but fuck it's worth it to me. If you really plan to spend the money to go proefi and single turbo, I think you would be wasting money putting all that towards a 7m.

The question is, is it worth it to you?

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
well ive been 7m my first setup and current setup is a 57 trim ct26 with a rebuilt upgraded .20 over 7m all supporting mods and aem ems its in the process of getting tuned and should be a blast but im def. wanting to start my new setup soon, honestly i think its worth it if its done right the first time there is no room for error in the 7m or ill be out a lot of money.. its a toss up 2jz would be the ideal swap for reliability and to make the power and hold it seeing as i drive my car frequently when its warm and nice out. ive seen a few 7ms built in Florida that i really like that use the billet 62 or 67mm and destroy a few 2jz cars, bikes, evos, ect. on the street and are a blast to drive from what i hear! if i can make the 7m perform as good as the 2j i would like to stay the 7m route. i do see what you are saying about having to do front facing intake to the 7m and a lot of other things

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
7Ms *can* be reliable with proper maintenance mods.

A JZ *is* reliable with proper maintenance and mods.

The game of chance isn't my thing and never has been... Plus, why waste time, money, and effort, when Toyota produced a superior (JZ) option from the factory. It just comes down to being a much newer design; apples to or oranges IMO.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Honestly I've never had the heart ache of bad rings or rod knock and Ive run all three of my gte's very hard

But i have always taken the right steps and have not taken chances...

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
7Ms are just as good as 2JZ. The 2J series is more advanced so in can produce more power. The problem is people messing around with REALLY OLD 7Ms don't want to spend money. They take it to just any machine shop, use old beat up cranks, and don't check things properly. Buy a new block for about $3K and you won't have ANY issues. If you want it to be more reliable, get forged rod and pistons and install it on a new block and be done. Once 2Js become as old as 7Ms, they'll start having the same issues.

Both routes will cost about the same. For most that already have lots of 7M parts, take the 7M route and save some money.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Dylan JZ;1811559 said:
Toyota produced a superior (JZ) option from the factory. It just comes down to being a much newer design; apples to or oranges IMO.

That really covers it. It's not some 2JZ vs. 7M series bigotry. It's a newer motor with a better design. It's tougher and lasts longer. Period. Dollar for dollar, if you spend the same amount of money on both engines, the 2JZ will, by default always come out on top. It's a square geometry engine, it's got a better head design, it's simply an improvement on the M series design. It's not an emotional issue, although fanboys on both sides try to turn it into one.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
7M's have forged rods stock :) with some forged pistons and a metal hg or felpro with a great tuner I can see someone running 500-600hp daily

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
88mk3supra;1811004 said:
money shouldn't be the issue when the time comes to start the build. thanks!

If the time hasn't come to start the build, and you've searched this topics that has been covered numerous times, and you've already answered your own question... then why post this topic?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
May I just add....... if they are both equally good engines. Which they are not, but let's say they are, for argument sake. The 7m is one ugly cluttered engine. People spend thousands of dollars to clean up a 7mgte. Front facing mani, coil pack upgrade, getting rid of afm, and all those freaking hoses. Don't get me wrong I love the 7m. It allows me to buy very nice cars with bhgs for peanuts. 2j it!